The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bolting up an EVO 8 suspension...Need advice

Quote:
You guys, cut the spring down to about a 9" free hieght + or - half an inch depending on how low you want it. That should be a good starting point.

Chris, I always just rent a compressor from shucks. Its like 8 bucks or somethin.

Karter, Does 9" free height put it at stock height? We rented a compressor from Checker but it was a hunk of junk. I would like to buy a nice one so I have one anyway.

kartorium

No, not stock hieght at a 9" free length. It lowered the car from wehre you sit right now at least 2 inches I think. The fender gap was reduced to somewhere between 1-2" IIRC. I was retarded and didn't take any pics of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Okay. We're going to inch it down then. More of a PITA but I want to get an idea of where different free lengths set the car.

Pivvay when this is done I'll gladly pay you for a set along with the ICS elliminator plate, might as well get it all at once. I've had a full evo suspension setup with just 100 miles just sitting in my garage for about 5 months and I really need to do something with them. BTW for anyone who's thinking of cutting off the botom mount and welding on the correct one, I started this and it didn't work out too well. Ruined one of my struts so word to the wise.

How did you weld? I've got some good advise for welding struts off some other people if it comes to that. However I hope it doesn't.

So say we come up with some kind of braket or something for the rear evo * strut then we should be able to use evo 8 teins or any other evo 8 suspension right. What if you drill the hole in the U of the strut big enough to fit the stock vr4 lower strut mount then used some kind of bushing

The Evo8 rear springs are a bolt on affair. They're shorter than the factory spring but much stiffer & does lower the car. The Evo8 front springs must be cut to at least 9" free length for starters. Install them & determine if the ride height suits your needs. After this point, trim extremely minimally to get the required ride height. I wouldn't recommend anything shorter than 8.5" free length. You will run into the problem of re-aligning all 4 springs whenever you put the car on a lift. It will be extremely stiff, but your roadhog side will be happy. Lots of pictures included in previous post below.

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=89748&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=95278&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

https://www.galantvr4.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=153127&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Last edited by a moderator:

What I want is a full coilover kit not springs but everything for the vr4 is either realy pricey or no one can get them any more . I am looking for somthing like the tein ha's or the jic magic fla2.

JB

you say everything is really pricey, but the HA's and the JIC you want are some of the most expensive stuff for our cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

why not get the Tein SS's from Alex? ive yet to read a complaint from someone that has them...

Last edited:

Because I want sepret ride height adjustment with the ss you have rive height and spring tension adjusted from one point and I cant find anyone who sells the ha's anyway. Thats why I want anothere option I can get omni power coilovers for an evo for $700. Where ags's and ground control coilover with camber plates are almost that much.

teet

any updates on getting rear evo struts to mount on a GVR4?

I got a set of DMS 40mm coilovers sitting here and i'm debating what to do with them...sell them...or put them on...humm...

john

Quote:
any updates on getting rear evo struts to mount on a GVR4?

I got a set of DMS 40mm coilovers sitting here and i'm debating what to do with them...sell them...or put them on...humm...

john

I've got a guy who welded the galant bottom loop on to the evo struts and it worked fine. Probably a tig only job with lots of stops and rags to keep the strut cool. I"m still working on a bolt on solution but I don't have a ton of extra time so it's slow going.

teet

how much did he charge to do it? Why couldn't you just do it with MIG in the same way...make a puddle and stop. cool...make a puddle...stop...etc...

Quote:
how much did he charge to do it? Why couldn't you just do it with MIG in the same way...make a puddle and stop. cool...make a puddle...stop...etc...

Don't know how much $$$. I would rather TIG it so you can keep the heat as localized as possible and as little as possible but if you're really good with a MIG you might be able to do it. Gotta keep it cool as much as you can is really the only key.

teet

I can butt weld 24 guage with my mig...spose i've got a pretty good feel at heat control /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll probably take a crack at it.

john

I got the bottom of the stock Galant shock welded into the fork in the Evo shock.
The shop had to weld it a little bit at a time, and keep the shock body covered in wet rags.
It cost about $150.

teet

thats what I was thinking of doing...and should be "easy" for me to do.

thanks
John

with stock evo springs on gvr4 struts, hows the camber, can the car be aligned properly without getting camber bolts ?

steve

We have a great how-to.

here

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts