The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

BLE SOLID TENSIONER

Tre3zy

just wondering wat you guys think of the solid tensioner from BLE ive read thread about this on the DSMTUNER forum and people said you dont need it....

Barnes

I think the general consensus here is that it is not needed.

Polish

OEM is fine.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
In the 8 years I spent as a Mitsu tech I only saw one OEM one go bad and that was on a Montero.

VR4Scott

A little old, but if the BLE was cheaper than the OEM tensioner would you run it instead?

Galantvr41062

No, not even a little. There are a few spots in a DSM build you do not want to skimp out on, and the timing belt area is one spot you need to put a little money into. Yes you could save a few bucks but if that thing fails or is not installed right you could be doing a lot of upper end work that would more then make up the difference.

~John

Brunoboy

think about why you use it?, I have one, yes you have to tighten it every so often, or atleast check the belt, but the thing NEVER wears out on you. and will NOT fail at High RPMS such as the OEM unit if used properly. I have it, and still use it. Just because everyone says "shep does this, shep does that" doesn't make the thing all that better.

prove_it

^agreed. It does work and could benefit someone running large cams and needs to maintain proper timing at 8k+ rpms. Issues are that you need to adjust it every so on. I think it's more for an all out race car rather than for a street car.

Tre3zy

Quoting brunoboy:
think about why you use it?, I have one, yes you have to tighten it every so often, or atleast check the belt, but the thing NEVER wears out on you. and will NOT fail at High RPMS such as the OEM unit if used properly. I have it, and still use it. Just because everyone says "shep does this, shep does that" doesn't make the thing all that better.

just like the people here and even tuners says.... if its a daily driven car and you are not looking on hitting the 8k rpms then the oem should be fine.... there is absolutely nothing wrong with the solid tensioner but why would i pay more to do more labor?

Brunoboy

because I always end up checking the belt anyways, so whats the point on my always buying a new Tensioner *shrug*

VR4Scott

I plan on around 8500-9k shifts at the track and someone offered me one for $50.

Tre3zy

take it thats a good deal

rlturbo35

I test booth of them , my car i rev it up to 10,200 ,only problem with ble is that the oil pump suffer lot more than having the hydraulic more, i been busting pumps in and out , finally i stick to the factory one , with sae 50 oil , no more problems (until now)....

turbowop

Quoting brunoboy:
because I always end up checking the belt anyways, so whats the point on my always buying a new Tensioner *shrug*

Always buying a new tensioner? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Are you hitting 60k miles yearly or something? IMO, it makes no sense on anything but an all-out race car. The hydraulic one on 1051 has been on since '01 and only seen 35k miles. I changed the belt last summer because it was old but the tensioner was fine. I don't have that side of the motor torn apart often enough for me to wanna get a solid tensioner that I have to maintain. Eff that.

Tre3zy

^ enough said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brunoboy

well at this point, ive redone my timing belt twice in the past 2k, so at this point, i think i am at liberty to say, i check mine often.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned