The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Best oil viscousity for High temps

dmj

My engine is noisy with 10W30, with 10W40 it is a lot quieter.is any one using a heavier grade. I need a few opinions on brands some of you may have tried keeping in mind I live in Florida.

thecman02

How many miles are on your engine? You could be suffering from lower oil pressure. Do you have a gauge? 40-50 will do great with the consistent warm temps Florida experiences. Higher viscosity raises your oil pressure. www.Bobistheoilguy.com is a great knowledge base for oils. You can also see lots of Used Oil Analysises *sp* lol. The UOA show how well the oils are holding up in different vehicles.

I think I'm going to run 0w-40 Mobil 1. I've very impressed with the UOA and results people have been getting with it. Plus it has more antiwear additives then most other Mobil 1 formulas.

Dexter,
I've been running 20/50 for years with no problems. I tried Mobile 15/50 but it seems hard to come by these days. I still have a few bottles left on the shelf but I went back to good ol' 20w50.

Dan D

I ran 15/50 from 110k miles to 192k miles. Wear and tear looked fine when i pulled the motor out this past summer.

ApexHunter

15w50 Mobil 1 in my car. I was using rotella t synthetic 5w40 but my rings have seen better days so i went up a little heavier to lower the amount of consumption. +1 on BITOG forum, a lot of good info there.

Last edited:

G

Staff member
In orlando you should be running 20/40 or 20/50 in the summer. What's the coldest it gets in the winter?

dmj

Some days it drops to freezing temps for a few hrs. I changed the oil to 20-50w two days ago and within 3 mins of idling the engine got a lot quieter. Thanks for the input guys.

Just to add to the pot, I've been using either Mobil 1, Royal Purple or AMSOIL 15w-50 during Chicago's summer months for the past 2 years and love it. I'll use Castrol Full Synthetic (High RPM/Turbo Applications on the bottle) when I can't get a deal on the first couple. Regardless of brand, using a 15w-50 or 20w-50 is pretty much necessary, in my eyes, if you're running the car hard or driving in hot weather. During the winter time I switch back to a 5w-30.

G

Staff member
Quoting dmj:
Some days it drops to freezing temps for a few hrs. I changed the oil to 20-50w two days ago and within 3 mins of idling the engine got a lot quieter. Thanks for the input guys.

Then use 5w/ 30 in the winter. Trying to start your car with 20/50 in the thirties will be rough.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned