The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Attn: Fluidampr Users

thecman02

Dsmtuners Article

Basically the stock bolts that get reused in the Fluidampr Crankshaft Pulley are too short.

Last edited:

Barnes

Hmmm. This is a bit odd to me. If the threads were too short, you would think the bolts would fall out. However it looks like they broke off inside the sprocket? Might not be a lot of thread engagement, but in this case I don't see how that would case this to happen. Maybe this person over tightened the bolts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Terry Posten

The stock bolts will do that in the stock damper as well if you over tighten them. It is very easy to do.

What most likely happened is that those bolts have been in and out 5 or more times and they just got weak at the most vulnerable point.

I replaced my bolts with 8.8 bolts a few years back when I noticed that the stock bolts were kind of "soft" when I torqued them down.

G

Staff member
Ask him to post pics of the stock bolt protruding from the fluidampr.

Barnes

Quoting Terry Posten:
I replaced my bolts with 8.8 bolts a few years back when I noticed that the stock bolts were kind of "soft" when I torqued them down.

Is an 8.8 bolt what comes from the factory for that bolt?

vapid

Quoting BarnesMobile:
Quoting Terry Posten:

Is an 8.8 bolt what comes from the factory for that bolt?

I believe its a grade 8 from the factory too. In which case, Terry downgraded.

Terry Posten

Not downgrading when the factory bolt was stretched and no longer was safe to use.

You don't need that much strength if you follow the factory manual.

And if I am not mistaken, my "stock" bolts had a "5" on the head. So that is about the same as an 8.8. (IIRC - it was a few years ago.)

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned