The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Anyone ever try one of these mufflers from Jegs?!

324vr4

Trying to find something very inexpensive and able to muffle the 3" exhaust a good amount...anyone have any experience with these on a 4g63 motor? They sound great on trucks with the 5.7; that's all the knowledge I have on them

click

Lonewolf64

I have one of these, but I'm using it as an inline resonator welded to quiet the exhaust a little. Then that feeds into my "real" muffler, a Borla twin exit unit.

I think just a single dynomax muffler of that style would be very loud.

324vr4

good to know...I have a resonator being used now but that has no effect on the Galant's loudness...perhaps a "real" muffler is needed then...thanks for the heads-up

JNR

Tip placement makes a difference, believe it or not...try having it extend past the muffler and don't use a rice tip.

when I got my vr4, the guy put a big ole rice tip on it and it was far behind the bumper (under car) and damn what a difference putting a 3" tip (the exh size) and proper placement. I have a small SS ovak stright thru glasspack-type, fwiw...

324vr4

I have from the e316g, 3" exhaust to right before the 45 to jog over to out the back, a RRE 16" resonator and than a 3" segmented SS tip outside the bumper...I'm not worried of how it sounds in the cabin...its gonna be louder then sh!t no matter what I do after removing ALL the interior and sound deadening; my need is for a "cheap" 3" muffler to lul the sound for those driving around me...it feels like I'm in HS again with such an "attention getter" noise coming from the GVR4...

But nonetheless I agree with NOT having a ricer tip out the back...its a turn down segmented tip that looks like it would be on a truck and not a 4-banger...looks fine but the sound is menacing; the resonator doesn't do much of anything...GW has offered me some amazing prices on mufflers but the wallet is starving at the moment so perhaps I should just wait and do it correctly right out of the gate. Thank you for the advice and suggestions tho!

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I used that dynomax muffler as a resonator on my 91 eclipse gsx. It did quiet it down quite a bit. I mounted it right about where the stock cat is located.

Ive always liked using Magnaflow's. They're cheap, they sound great and you can see right down them. I've always paid about $90 for them.

324vr4

Good to know. Maybe I should sell the RRE resonator and rethink the whole exhaust setup...its loud and proud but needs a little more lul in the exhaust tone....babies cry when get on it...

1badgvr4

I have a full 3'' o3 elim on my vr4 with no cat and just one of those dynomax mufflers near the back. Its not loud at all to me, and sounds pretty nasty when I get on it.

deez

Magnaflow with high flow cat with 2.5" pipes put off low tones, and not too loud. Though every once in a while I set off an overly sensitive car alarm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

324vr4

right on...yeah...the muffling is for the "others" around me...I just got my first ticket in the GVR4 and I'd rather not make any of the other shithead police mad at the Galant being so awesome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I have a DC Sports muffler that used to be on my Evo,but for some reason is sounds more quite in the Galant, even with cams and full 3".

Ian M

Quote:
Trying to find something very inexpensive and able to muffle the 3" exhaust a good amount...anyone have any experience with these on a 4g63 motor? They sound great on trucks with the 5.7; that's all the knowledge I have on them

I have one of those welded round Ultraflos on my white car,along with a "3 Dynomax race bullet as a resinator on the stock cat location. Sounds like a garbage truck. I added the bullet later in a attempt to quiet it down some,but it didn't make a huge difference. It's noticably louder than the "3 oval Magnaflo on my green car,which is it's only muffler. I like how much quieter the Magnaflo is.

A Magnaflow with a resonator is my personel favorite. Vibrant sells 12 and 18 in resonators for cheap also.

324vr4

Thank you for the heads-up and advice once again...I've had Magnaflows in the past and really liked them...wallet permitting, I hope to remedy this noise problem soon. Thanks for the feedback on your experiences with Magnaflows and resonators...and Vibrants for that matter...I'm looking into a franken-exhaust setup that should muffle the beast just fine...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned