The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Any way to clean fuel lines

G

Staff member
Remove & replace.

cOmpressor

-AN is your friend. Love the ss line and it will love you.

Last edited:

1badgvr4

what size should I go with its only gonna be my daily, and what size fitting to I need for the sending unit and the bottom of the fuel filter.

charmcity

How much length of -6an would one need?

atc250r

Staff member
Cleaning the outside? Are they really rusted or something? You can clean it with a wire brush I suppose. If you want to replace the whole thing on the cheap you can buy a roll of 5/16" tubing from Summit and make a new one using your old ends if you've got a flare tool.

John

JNR

^^^Will metric fittings work alright on 5/16" (OD) tubing? I imagine they might be close enough with the flare and all.

If they're the oem lines you're referring to an you do clean it to the point of removing the coating, be sure to spray some clear or something, otherwise you'll be getting ugly lines in no time!

atc250r

Staff member
Yup. They are exactly the same size because the stock line is 8mm and 5/16"=8mm. There used to be a write up on VFAQ about how to fix your broken fuel sender tube using 5/16" line and your stock fitting along with a little JB Weld. Unfortunately its gone but its still on the wayback machine but the pics are gone.

John

JNR

Well, 5/16" is 3 thousands smaller /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Ha ha, really though, I could see the lines being close (enough) in OD, but they use metric fittings, correct? For the OP, just make sure to get the right fittings (summit was mentioned and sometimes it comes with end fittings, but that wouldn't do much good; just a heads up so you're not 1/2 way into it and then woops).

[edit - I suppose the original oem fittings could be salvaged; use a flare nut wrench though, if you don't want to curse!]

Still curious what is meant by cleaning the lines...Is it just the outside and minor 'stains', or rusty? If just dirty, a good degreaser would work fine, but don't get too aggressive with scrubbing. Otherwise, may be just as easy to replace, as mentioned...

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
Quoting atc250r:
5/16" line and your stock fitting along with a little JB Weld.

The SAE fittings won't work. That's why I specified stock fittings. If you buy a roll (20 or 25 ft) of 5/16" it doesn't come with ends.

John

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned