The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Another option for bigger brake upgrade.

r4pt0x

The rotors for Evo 4 (gravel spec) and Outlander will fit - they have the same offset as the Stock E30 or 267mm (evo 3) disks...

The disks for Evo 4 are vented from inside, so they get the better cooling; but are ~1.5 times the price of the outlander ones.

AllanL

Quoting r4pt0x:
The rotors for Evo 4 (gravel spec) and Outlander will fit - they have the same offset as the Stock E30 or 267mm (evo 3) disks...

The disks for Evo 4 are vented from inside, so they get the better cooling; but are ~1.5 times the price of the outlander ones.)

got OE part numbers for theose Evo 4 gravel spec rotors?

Gravel spec are the RS Evo 4's that were non-Brembo?

89Patches

FlyingEagle, My setup up consists of, Rebuilt calipers, Evo 4 Brembo rotors, EBC RED pads, SS lines, Super blue brake fluid. Honestly for the amount of money I spent on this setup I probably would have been better off saving up for Evo Brembo's or something else. I only went this route as I still wanted the freedom of running 16" rims.

r4pt0x, ALL Evo 4's came with 2 Piston calipers and 296MM rotors. I have no clue where you picked this up from that only gravel spec's came with these brakes. After the Evo 4 all Evo's came with Brembo's. Now the Evo 5/6's RS model DID come with the 2 Piston 296MM brakes. Also Evo 3 Front rotors are not 267MM but I'll just assume that was a typo and meant 276MM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting strokin4dr:
I've read everything I could find on the ctsv calipers. AFAIK, no one has completed the swap....or at least completed it and posted about it. The mounting tabs are correctly spaced, and they are cheap. Seems like the offset of the caliper was strange though. I guess rotors with custom hats would be the best solution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I think this guy completed the CTS-V brake install...

click

belize1334

I find the idea of doubling up brake pads inside the caliper to be extremely sketchy...

Also, big front brake kits increase forward bias. That's bad because it makes the already underworked rear brakes work even less. If you can get the rear brakes in on the action the fronts don't have to be so big because they aren't doing all of the work. So, I recommend that you go as far as you can with pad selection on the stock brakes before heading down the rabbit hole of big brake kits. Then, if you are going to install a kit, try to get one that increases front heat capacity without increasing torque. This will help the brakes stay cool without moving the bias still further forward.

Example 1: late 90's cobra calipers accept a 12" rotor but have SMALLER pistons so they don't clamp as hard. As a result the wheel torque remains the same as stock. This preserves bias while improving heat dissipation.
Example 2: Outlander rotors, outlander brackets and 1ga "small" calipers. Not sure if this package would bolt up but it would move the caliper out to accommodate a larger rotor but make the clamping load smaller - again, this improves heat dissipation while preserving brake bias.

KiNgMaRtY

There is another local that did the outlander upgrade and also felt the gains were minimal at most

coyotes

a bigger rotor is only going to decrease brake fade, not much in the way of increasing braking strength.

prove_it

My outlander "conversion" cost me about $100, I noticed a little better braking. I don't think it's worth converting to 5 lug just to do it, but if your on 5 lugs now it's not a bad idea. It's not going to increase your braking power by a lot, and I don't think it was ever advertised as doing such.

r4pt0x

Quoting 89Patches:

r4pt0x, ALL Evo 4's came with 2 Piston calipers and 296MM rotors. I have no clue where you picked this up from that only gravel spec's came with these brakes. After the Evo 4 all Evo's came with Brembo's. Now the Evo 5/6's RS model DID come with the 2 Piston 296MM brakes. Also Evo 3 Front rotors are not 267MM but I'll just assume that was a typo and meant 276MM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

At least here in europe the "Normal" versions (GSR - with electric widows/mirrors, stereo etc...) were sold with Brembo Brakes - the RS were available with either Brembo or as gravel spec with the 2-piston calipers. The RS also came with cheap seats from the base lancer model, only the GSR were fitted with recaros.

Yes, the evo 3 rotors are 276mm - sorry for the typo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for all the complaints about the update not increasing brake performance:
The lever is incresed by ~1/3, so the possible braking forces are much higher. BUT: as the surface speeds between pads and disks are also higher, organic brake pads will heat up much more quickly! If you want some real performance gain you HAVE to use proper pads (cerametallic or metallic). We use the 296mm/2-caliper setup on lots of lighter cars (

prove_it

Oh and on the outlander rotor, the hat is vented. I did notice less fade with stock oe pads after the install. Enough to say, wow they take more abuse. Too me that made it worth it.

Works very well with the 3g eclipse master. I'm fairly satisfied with the set-up now. I want to run bigger rears and more rear bias. I think there's more to gain in the rear on our cars than the fronts.

89Patches

Quoting r4pt0x:
At least here in europe the "Normal" versions (GSR - with electric widows/mirrors, stereo etc...) were sold with Brembo Brakes - the RS were available with either Brembo or as gravel spec with the 2-piston calipers. The RS also came with cheap seats from the base lancer model, only the GSR were fitted with recaros.

There is no Evo 4 that came with Brembo's from factory. Evo 5/6's came standard with Brembo's (GSR Models)

Now the Outlander "upgrade" is not bad I guess for someone who mostly street drives they're car and maybe the occasional pass at the track. But for anyone who actually road courses they're car I would never recommend them. The two tracks that are local to me are both 4km's long one has 14 corners and the other has 10 and well it has hills and embankments. The Outlander brakes just don't cut in on a real track.

prove_it

^agree in a way. I think it depends on your power levels and aggressiveness. If your pushing deep in the corner and asking for full braking for time attack runs, then yes you need more brake power. If your out for sport and trail brake and don't push it deep then the stockers can take it. I ran stock brakes at 280whp and played in the mountains for hours and never really had brake issues, and there was plenty of 100-20mph drops and steep down hill touge style.

Pads make a major difference with fade and amount of abuse the brakes can take.

pagosadsm

Another idea, I have mustang PBR calipers up front with Crown Vic Rotors. The rotors are 12.4". The rear PBR 96 Corvette in the rear. They have 12" rotors. Both cost me about 500.00 for both. They rears were a lot of work
Rick

G

Staff member
Can someone make a spread sheet? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif With all the options and rotor sizes.

pagosadsm

I checked out a rotor book from NAPA. The book gave all the measurements of all rotors available. That is the way I discovered using the corvette calipers and rotors for the rear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned