The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Airbox/Intake Question

chrisb33

Quoting GVR4_1057:
Nice looking work. Is there a noticeable difference in power?

Underneath the filter, i cut a hole there and made an air duct feeding cooler air from the front bumper.

There is a slight decrease in AIT around 5-10* according to dsmlink.

I can still make the airbox cooler by sticking some insulation material (i forgot what it's called but my mechanic has one). It's like soft foamish material. Coz when i touch the airbox it's still hot. So i assume there is still a lot of heat transfer going on inside the box because of the under hood temp. Putting insulation outside or inside the box will definitely help. Of course i choose to put it inside for a cleaner look.

chris b

chrisb33

Quoting GIjoe:
Quoting chrisb33:
similar to my set up too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

Thats freakin sweet!!

Thanks man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brisvr4

Quoting CarRacer:
Bris I noticed you didn't use a hump connector. Have you noticed any problems from that?

No problems at all. The silicone connector on the turbo is pretty flexible too.
I am using poly motor mounts though so nothing really moves around anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I'm using meth injection as well and it really cools down the intake charge! I haven't taken temps but I can do a 1st through 3rd pull and the inlet manifold is cold to touch after it!

chrisb33

Quoting Polish:
I mean, every little bit helps but if you're injecting something with any significance (IE Meth, Alky, etc) it's cooling ability is likely good enough that the actual intake temperature likely isn't going to be nearly as critical as opposed to a car that is strictly air/air intercooled, especially one that has an undersized intercooler.

KenInn posted some post IC temp tests a while back with a few variables, I don't think intake temp played a role but the amount of temperature drop with something being injected was so drastic I'm just assuming the intake temp being a little higher would have been fairly negligible.

Although as I said, it surely can't hurt and I'm not a scientist either. Just going off my limited knowledge base and assuming slightly.

I do agree that the best way to decrease intake temps is to run some meth/water injection or even a water to air IC.

I do run meth injection btw. Having said that, i still want to exhaust all efforts in trying to cool down AIT. Heck if i can afford to do a water injection system on to my FMIC i would! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My rule of thumb...the cooler the better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

chrisb33

Quoting VR4ownzU:

Thats looks great. If you we're racing you could take the headlight out and run a direct pipe to the intake right?

Even if youre not racing you can do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You just have to sacrifice your fogs.

i dont have a direct pipe yet but i do have a hole under where the air filter sits and i do have an air duct going towards the front bumper where my passenger fog lamp used to be. I think that the air duct isnt enough. I have to extend it to where the fog lamp used to be and design a very good air collector.

chris b

chrisb33

Quoting GIjoe:
^thats pretty sweet lookin IMO. I have to relocate my battery. Ive heard that its a b*tch to relocate though...
Could someone shed some light on how to do it exaclty? a step by step guide would be awesome! thanks

I THINK i read an article about it in the how to section.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned