The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Airbox/Intake Question

CarRacer

I'm building a heat shield/airbox for my car. I'm wondering how much "play" I should incorporate into the shield itself to compensate for engine movement.

Here's some pictures to see what I'm doing. The shield is currently resting on the body and doesn't have much room for flex. I can always cut more off, but I want to maximize the heat deflection.

cOmpressor

Hard mount it and buy a flex coupler. They kind of look like a bubble coupler but I forgets the name.

CarRacer

Hump connector I believe. I need two of those then, I need one for my I/C piping as well.

cOmpressor

Yaz thats it, you might want to think about sealing the top to the hood with foam and what not.

CarRacer

Im going to weld a piece across the top to further shield the filter. Only thing that sucks is that I have to leave access for the filter hose clamp. I have to remove the filter to disassemble everything.

brisvr4

Nice!That looks similar to my setup.
I used pop rivets and aluminium angle to attach the top to mine. The angle holds the lid up nicely. I have the same problem as you in that I have to remove the filter to get the intake off.
Here is a basic pic of mine. Doesn't look pretty but it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GIjoe

^thats pretty sweet lookin IMO. I have to relocate my battery. Ive heard that its a b*tch to relocate though...
Could someone shed some light on how to do it exaclty? a step by step guide would be awesome! thanks

CarRacer

Bris I noticed you didn't use a hump connector. Have you noticed any problems from that?

GVR4_1057

Nice looking work. Is there a noticeable difference in power?

JNR

I was planning on suspending/attaching mine in a sheet of rubber (with decent durometer rating), and that would be attached to the wall with a ring, of sorts. Basically, the idea is that is sort of floats with the side-to-side motions. Further, I am going to make it so that I can have a removable top, to allow disassembly of the filter. Finally, I'll probably paint/coat it black, to resemble plastic, so that the nazi's don't notice it right away (besides, as much as I love mill or polished aluminum/SS, there is a point where there is too much).

GIjoe

Quoting chrisb33:
similar to my set up too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

Thats freakin sweet!!

Lonewolf64

I'll snap a pic of my setup...it is quite similar to what you guys are posting here.

mikus

some nice looking setups above... just wondering, does anyone have data to go with, a before/after or such?

Polish

I didn't do it on a GVR4 but I've done tests on an NA car with much less heat under the hood and the difference is well worth it. It's been years so I don't remember exact numbers not to mention it obviously wouldn't be comparable anyway because Turbo cars have MUCH hotter engine bays than NA cars for the most part. Especially you dolts who don't run heat shields.

I suggest everyone do this, I made a few (ghetto) attempts on my old turd but none ever turned out very good.

Now if you run methanol injection or some other form of chemical injection which can theoretically drop the charge temperature to equal or below ambient obviously it's going to be a moot point to even bother.

mikus

^ i'm not sure I understand that part with w/m injection, could you clarify? I would have thought that it's still worthwhile (ie, lower intake temp, then w/m brings it that much lower...) is it that you could get temps even lower, but with diminishing returns as you approach ambient?

I'm especially curious cuz I have w/m and building an intake box is on the agenda..

Polish

I mean, every little bit helps but if you're injecting something with any significance (IE Meth, Alky, etc) it's cooling ability is likely good enough that the actual intake temperature likely isn't going to be nearly as critical as opposed to a car that is strictly air/air intercooled, especially one that has an undersized intercooler.

KenInn posted some post IC temp tests a while back with a few variables, I don't think intake temp played a role but the amount of temperature drop with something being injected was so drastic I'm just assuming the intake temp being a little higher would have been fairly negligible.

Although as I said, it surely can't hurt and I'm not a scientist either. Just going off my limited knowledge base and assuming slightly.

Last edited:

VR4ownzU

Quoting chrisb33:
similar to my set up too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chris b

Thats looks great. If you we're racing you could take the headlight out and run a direct pipe to the intake right?

Mind as well post mine, EVO III ARC Airbox
ARCEVOIIIAirbox.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned