The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

About to tackle first timing belt replacement

dammitjim

Nice, I got lucky and they lined up at the first pass. I picked up a gates belt locally, with a little more luck I might have the belt on yet tonight.

How important is the lower cover gasket? Mine is there but pretty stiff and I dont have a way to get one tonight.

Can anyone confirm the tensioner removal procedure?

dammitjim

I screwed up and released the tensioner pulley before putting a screw in that hole to meet up with the tensioner. I'd this a big deal? Should I keep going by screwing in the tensioner to set the pin?

fuel

First up I must say I'm impressed how you are tackling the issue and posting up images along the way.

I've found 99% of the time the lower cover has rub marks, it just seems that old age deforms the plastic enough to cause rubbage - either that or previous attempts at replacing belts/doing work on the side of the engine have not been as careful as they should have been putting that cover back on. I note there is a philips head screw in one of the bolt holes by the water pump - it should have a regular 10mm head bolt like the rest of the shorter bolts.

Lower cover gasket isn't all that important, especially now that the cover at that age wont be straight and true and seal correctly anyhow.

To remove the tensioner I would attempt to put a pin through to lock it if the hole in the tensioner rod happens to line up with the rest of the tensioner body - if it is only ever so slightly out I often find rotating the engine a few turns is enough to push it back in perhaps 1 or 2mm. Once the tensioner is locked then undo the 14mm locking bolt on the tensioner and pull the belt off. I often remove the two 12mm bolts on the tensioner and remove it entirely before taking the belt off so it isn't so tight.

If you haven't been able to lock your tensioner with the pin (ie rod is too far out) and you have access to a shop vice then just pull the tensioner off and put it in the vice between blocks of wood and close it up enough to put a pin in it. Otherwise you can use a long threaded bolt (can't remember the pitch, but it's the same as the alternator tensioner adjustment long bolt) and thread it into a hole of the timing over above the air con condenser as shown here

tt04.jpg

pauleyman

Easier to just pull the tensioner off, compress it and put a pin in it. You can do it on the car as you suggest but it's hard to see. You didn't screw up, you're just a little out of order and/or you've added a step assuming you aren't replacing the tensioner.

dammitjim

Thanks for the input. I tried that alternator bolt and it is so close but not quite for getting those holes to line up. I guess I will pull the tensioner.

dammitjim

When I removed the belt the exhaust side cam jumped to the left a little with a click noise. Is this normal?

photo-799620.JPG

Barnes

1)Timing cover bolts are quite a few different lengths. They should not all be the same. Also, if you are missing one, that is generally why pulleys will rub through the cover.

2)Just remember to compress the tensioner slowly when you have it out of the car.

3)Yes, the exhaust cam will click to the left. That's normal.

pauleyman

Easier to just make a tool out of allthread. Battery hold down works if you run a die down it but the threads aren't quite full threads and they can be gouged easily.

dammitjim

Quoting Barnes:
1)Timing cover bolts are quite a few different lengths. They should not all be the same.
2)Just remember to compress the tensioner slowly when you have it out of the car.

They are almost all the same. I should probably order a new set.

Iade a mistake there with the alternator bolt and tightened it not slowly.

Barnes

Well, if you use a bolt it might not be so bad. Generally when people take the tensioner out of the car they put it in a vice or a c-clamp and you can REALLY squeeze it down fast. Are you sure you read the vfaq enough times? It specifically says to compress the tensioner slowly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

dammitjim

Anyone have a diagram of which bolts hold in the tensioner or a pic of one out of the car? Not sure which bolts to remove.

dammitjim

Quoting Barnes:
Well, if you use a bolt it might not be so bad. Generally when people take the tensioner out of the car they put it in a vice or a c-clamp and you can REALLY squeeze it down fast. Are you sure you read the vfaq enough times? It specifically says to compress the tensioner slowly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Frequency is ok, clearly comprehension was a problem. I got excited when it looked like that bolt might work and forgot.

dammitjim

Are there 4 bolts to the tensioner with one behind the pulley? If so is there a trick to removing the pulley?

pauleyman

If you were just using a ratchet to turn that down you're fine. Bolts holding the tensioner on are soft of self explanatory. Two bolts next to it. Remove them. Key point, If you do belts on other mitsubishi 4g63 they are not all the same. There are 4 different part numbers for the tensioner so a description of "both bolts on the same side" isn't necessarily true.....it is in this case however.

dammitjim

Got it. I was confused because I thought I needed to remove the pulley and tensiOner as one piece. This was easier than messing with the screw.

Anything I should do to test I while it is out? Visually it looks great.

photo-790499.JPG

ercp98

OP, i am sorry i was not clear with my suggestion. i meant get the crank bolt loosen at a shop with their impact wrench and then re torque back. all i was suggesting was getting it cracked loose instead of having a hard time with it with the bump start , breaker bar, or what ever trick to get it loose. sorry for being unclear. did not mean to give bad advice.

Barnes

Ercp98, that makes more sense. Although we both missed the point because he doesn't need to take it off at all.

dammitjim

WARNING:

It was brought to my attention that using an allen wrench as a pin is not recommended because if the wrench fails under tension it can shatter and potentially cause eye or other damage.

photo-700918.JPG

Last edited:

dammitjim

Anyone know the torque values on the tensioner bolts? "good and tight but don't be a gorilla and strip them out" about right? 35-45ft lbs ish?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned