The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

A proper build thread for 1501

LIV4PSI

So once again, 1501 is jack stand ballin' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif It's all for a good reason though. I sold my spare 4 bolt rear subframe that I was currently using. I've been making some good progress on getting my refreshed subframe finished.

My plans while it is apart are
1. Undercoat unibody and wheel wells, fix pinch welds
2. New -8an feed, -6an return and new passenger brake line (DS is done)
3. POR fuel tank and sending unit
4. Brand new emergency brake cables

I also acquired another parts car. 1501 has now claimed the rusty souls of 627/200 and 960/1000. New goodies I'm keeping are
-5k mile transmission w/ double synchro 2nd gear, newer T-case
-Omori DIN pod with water temp, oil pressure and boost gauges
-Whiteline front and rear strut bars
-Exedy clutch (mine slips)
-JDM RS replica CF hood with Aerocatch hood pins
-92 grill
- some really nice interior pieces I needed (uncracked dash, perfect console lid)

I also just bought this off of eBay for $100. Ad said it came off of a car with 10k miles, I believe it

Here is a teaser part of some of the parts I've been accumulating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Look at all they purdy parts there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LIV4PSI

I have decided to stay content with 16G power levels, and focus on making my car nice. My best friend and his father own a body shop, and his father has almost 40 years of experience. My friend wants quite a few parts I have, so I decided now is the time to paint it.

Plans are:
-JDM front and rear bumpers
-facelift projector fog lights
-Carbon fiber replica RS hood (painted of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif)
-93 headlights/ putting stock corners back on
-92 grill
-wingless trunk

I fucked around and just bought this, so now I'm committed

img.php

slugsgomoo

who are you going to buy the replica RS cf hood from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif My understanding is that the few that were made were it...

p.s. You can't have mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsught.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I already have the RS CF hood, so no need to buy it from anyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only thing I still need to buy is the rear bumper. Now if Citymunky would just sell me his /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Anyone have any thoughts about me painting it Wicked White?

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

I think it all comes down to how good the paint is and if you do the whole thing. I've always been a fan of some of the honda & bmw white paints myself.

I doubt unless you parked next to another summit car that anyone would be able to tell

I wonder how many of those hoods got built? Mine is hanging up in the garage right now. Figure might as well have the car running well and wait for summer to put it on. Plus I have to cut it for the aerocatches and frankly not looking forward to that. Cutting the metal one was less nerve racking, but definitely more of a pain in the ass. So many dremel cutting wheels to do the steel hood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif (i don't have the factory latch at all anymore, so that's part of it)

LIV4PSI

I would do the door jambs, engine bay, etc if I did a color change. I want it to be subtle if I do it, and also a stock Mitsu color. I plan on an EVO IX interior, so I thought EVO IX paint would be cool too

I didn't realize the CF RS hoods were made in such limited numbers. Mine came on the car from Armitage that I am parting out, with Aerocatch latches already installed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Edit: I really like Honda's Championship White, but I would never use it on my VR4. Although it's just a color, it seems wrong

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

It seems to me that they made the first one with US bracing, we all bitched about it, then they remade it with the JDM bracing, we all ate the 50-100 more to get it with the proper bracing and the first handful or two went out without a hitch, then it seems like follow up orders got sketchy and then a badguy thread showed up. I doubt anyone will make them again. Seems like there's not enough in it for a reputable shop to make them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

LIV4PSI

Here is how my JDM bumper showed up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Not boxed at all, and the bubble wrap doesn't even cover all of it.

LIV4PSI

$795 for the bumper, support beam, and projector fog lights

Faqinshiet, this one came from Asian as well

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I would be pissed if I ordered a hood, and it came like some of the ones I've seen. I looked at Mike's at the Shootout, corners are folded, it's full of bondo, etc.

GSX_TC

Yeah my hood came with every single edge bent, they had shipped it with the corners poking out of the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif tried get it straight though but it's still is not perfect. I don't know if I wanna either try to fix it better or just try my luck and get another JDM hood.

LIV4PSI

Did you file a Paypal complaint Mike? I sure would have. Did it come with Bondo, or was that something you had to do to try and straighten it out?

If I end up selling my CF RS hood, yo can have dibs. I never wanted a vented hood, until one fell into my lap for free

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Nope never filed a complaint. And yeah the bondo was added to try and help that. Awesome, thanks.

Redwood

hel yea man looks like you have a good start to having this car look pretty damn clean for next year. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting LIV4PSI:
Did you file a Paypal complaint Mike? I sure would have. Did it come with Bondo, or was that something you had to do to try and straighten it out?

If I end up selling my CF RS hood, yo can have dibs. I never wanted a vented hood, until one fell into my lap for free

i sure as sh*t did and i got 325$ back from them. i paid 550 for the hood shipped and said i want 325$ back or you can pay to have the whole thing shipped back to you and give me a full refund. that day i had my money in my paypal account. i was furious, i haven't really tried to fix mine. i pulled the corners back out and did the best i could with some tools.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned