The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

'91-'93 3KGT VR4 4 pot Calipers Installed!

Quote:
Wont fit under 15" I suppose? I need to do some brake for the from of the rally car soon... I will wear out the pads I have but after that????

LP

Looks like smallest wheel that can be used is a 17". If you've gone 5 lug, you could use the 3g 17" alloy wheel (same ones that come on the '99 eclipse gsx) with longer wheel studs.

By the way, can someone move this to the 'How to Section'?

Quote:
hmm I didn't know that first gen calipers could work with 2g rotors. Is that just because of the bracket positioning?

The 2g calipers are about 1/2" larger than the 1g. The 1g rotors will be 1/2" too small for use with these brackets.

GVR-4

Sorry if I missed it (I just reread the whole thread), but what is the diameter of the rotors?

Stock Dimensions

1991-1993>>295mm 11.62" >>Thickness 30mm 1.18">>Cylinder ID 40.4mm x 2+ 42.8 x 2
1994-1999>>314mm 12.36" >>Thickness 30mm 1.18">>Cylinder ID 40.4mm x 2+ 42.8 x 2

Read here for more indepth info

Last edited by a moderator:

Just posting this for the archive.
My brake master cyliner started leaking after one week of babying the brakes. Luckily the car was parked when this happened. So one more thing to keep in mind if you do decide to tackle this. My car has just over 214k miles on the clock when this happened. To avoid the downtime, you may as well replace this while upgrading. I believe the dealer cost is around $350, local auto store is around $70 after the core charge.

atc250r

Staff member
If I were to do this I would definitely look into getting a 17/16" master from a 3KGT or as someone else suggested an Evo 7. I'd guess that the 7 and 8 are the same one and may be a better option. If one of you with an 8 could take a few close up pic of the MC area so we can see how the lines are routed that'd be great.

John

I considered this upgrade, but 1st I need to get the car back on the road. Then source the 3kgt vr4 MC. Does it matter if it's 1st gen or 2nd?

atc250r

Staff member
I'm not sure. I'd look at whatever one fits the best. My guess would be that the Evo one would fit better as far as line location but that is just a guess. Check out car-part.com if you want to see if a junkyard has one for cheap. Edit: I just searched there and found 2 for under $100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

John

Last edited:

I just got off the phone with Satan. Apparently Mitsu revised the MC over the years & moved the screw on the side to the bottom. At this point I'm leaning to believe that I have the correct replacement part. Not sure what the deal is with the screws not going all the way down. I'm gonna give it a shot again tonight. Maybe tackling it half-a-sleep @ 12 midnight presented some other challenges.

GVR-4

IMHO rebuilding or buying a rebuilt master cylinder is a bad idea. As Ken said, the aluminum just doesn't seem do well after a rebuild. I rebuilt my clutch and brake master cylinders (I honed them well) and neither has consistent feel. Now I have to do the same job again. I'm sure other people will disagree. YMMV. Keep us posted, Garfield.

3000Gt VR4 = GTO?

Anyway, where can I get the custom brackets to fit onto a VR4 knuckle? I can get the GTO calipers (1 set) easily here.

Quote:
I still have a couple sets of the brake caliper brackets left if anyone is interested. They are $90 shipped a set and yes I do take paypal. I have also found that SSR Competition wheels fit over these brakes, not sure what offset they were as I was just borrowing them from a friend to see if they fit. Any Evo wheel should fit over this setup.

Pete

3000GT vr4 = GTO; yes.
Brackets available in 1st post.

Quote:
update?

Brakes holding up very well. I definately recommend getting the correct wheels to go with these calipers before you attempt this. Smallest wheel you can use is 17". 17x8 +38 evo 8 oem whells fits perfectly if you've gone 5 lug. If you're still 4 lug like me, the 5Ziggen listed on pg 2 of this thread should be perfect fit @ 35mm offset. This gives an additional 3mm offset. The evo 8 wheels @ +38mm offset still have some room which leads me to believe +35mm offset will work.

Yiuwa

Actually it doesn't really matter what offset are your wheels made with, but the spoke pattern design

You should take your wheel to junkyard, mount it to any GTO caliper you can find to tell you for sure

Yiuwa

Quote:
I know Mark & a few others are going to get royally pissed off very soon, but I'm planning on going with 5Ziggen FNO1R-C 17x8 35mm bronze or black with polished lip.

I have a set sitting in my room right now, in Bronze, the black w/polished lip are $60 more a set, so I just went with bronze. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The brakes look good Garfield but it looks like a lot of Labor and parts searching. It might just be easier, but a little more expensive to go with the Willwood 6 pots. This gives us GVR4 guys a couple options though.
Thanks for the writeup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
I'm using Advan RC 17" x 7J. Will it clear the big brakes? The offset is +45.

17x7 +45mm offset will not clear. As Yiaw mentioned, spoke design plays a big part as well. I'd say if your spokes are thicker than 3/4", you may need spacers. Any wheels designed for the Evo 8 will clear these calipers. That being said, the smallest wheel you can run is 17x8 +38mm offset.

Thanks.

I will try to grab a set of GTO front n rear calipers + rotors + knuckle for experiment.

Or just do weight reduction instead which increases your brakes performance and your VR4s' acceleration /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I'm a great believer that pad selection is just as important as rotor diameter, so with the lack of Ferrodo DS2500 or DS3000 pads available for the 4 Piston calipers, I can't justify myself adding extra unsprung weight. If you want to cheat though, we have a Mitsubishi 4WD model here called 'Pajero' model NJ where the Calipers are almost the same as the VR4s, the only difference being the pistons in these are about 3-4mm greater in diameter over the VR4 pistons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned