The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

89 under dash

Forgive the n00b question, but I have to know. Been seeing a lot of these for sale as of late and i'm curious. Was this only an option on 89 VR-4's or was it available on all Models of the same production year? That being said, is it just another compartment or am I missing something?

citymunky

I'm not to sure if they only came in 1989 Galants (My guess is yes), but yes it's just extra compartment.

jepherz

Staff member
Yes, all galants pre a certain year had them. Extra compartment, a little more leg room, much lighter. Same goes for the glove boxes.

So I picked up an 89 underdash yesterday and now I see the weight difference! Who would have thought a panel would weigh so much. That being said, what's the difference on the passenger side? Seems the glovebox is the same size?

KiNgMaRtY

Wow, you sourced one out fast. I'm looking for one aswell. Did you get all the pieces aswell as for the AC ducting? I've heard it's different but I can't confirm

yes the ac duct is different. i grabbed just the under dash panel last week and now i have to go back and get the ac duct because the original vr4 one did not fit.

KiNgMaRtY

Quoting ninnyVR4:
I can grab you one with the ac ducts

Really, you can get another? Matches interior? Condition? I want one!

Same here. Luckily I just did it in the parking lot of the junkyard so I was able to go back in and grab the rest before even leaving.

toybreaker

iconoclast
It's worth noting that the factory re-inforced these pieces for a reason.

In a front end/head on crash, the drivers and passengers lower bodies including their legs are thrown forward by the forces.

These panels were re-inforced to keep them from breaking thru the thin plastic and being damaged by the sharp bits of the steering column on the drivers side and the heater/climate control components on the passengers side.

That said, I have put the 89 underdash in my vr-4, but I left the glovebox lid as delivered.

I'm okay with taking chances for myself, but I dont want to think about a passenger being injured.

I wasn;t really worried about the weight savings putting in the underdash, just thought the extra compartment was pretty nifty. So like you I didn't even bother with the glovebox after I found out the only difference was weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned