The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

881/1000 - My New GVR4

transparentdsm

phil your killing it. i cant wait to come out there and see your cars and the space you have to work with. im so limited where i live, no garage just a shed that barley fits the vr4 in it, a little concrete patio in my back yard to do all the work and a limitation to work when it starts to rain, gets cold or to dark... also the nearest friend who i can ask to help me is about an hour from my house. i never realized how hard it is to do car work and build stuff when your the only person helping yourself.

DynastyLCD

thanks brother. you'll see pretty damn soon!

i put the 2g strut tops in, and it did level it out quite a bit. the front is still slightly higher but it's better than it was before. i've got a couple hundred miles on the built motor setup now, still on a stock exhaust though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif sunday can't come soon enough that's for sure... here's a shot from work the other day:

IMG01025-20130402-1708_zpsa991582e.jpg

on my way home from work, i saw my friend had his nasty 300ZX parked outside. we worked together at a Nissan dealership, i had helped him put the car together. makes over 500 on pump 93 on a rich tune and 1 bar wastegate pressure... stage 3 Z1 longblock and 2860r's which spool like nothing. just an all-around very nice car. it was a gorgeous day out here in CT, perfect day to take a few pictures (and a Z beatin' run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif ) these are all from my phone so please don't nitpick the quality.

IMG01029-20130404-1736_zps497a5033.jpg

IMG01031-20130404-1737_zpsc2e46f58.jpg

IMG01030-20130404-1737_zpsae57aecf.jpg

IMG01032-20130404-1738_zpsae148211.jpg

IMG01033-20130404-1738_zps44fc20fa.jpg

IMG01035-20130404-1739_zps2fae8dd9.jpg

IMG01034-20130404-1738_zps503f05e0.jpg

on sunday, Shane (transparentdsm) is coming up to deliver my 3" exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif the current exhaust setup is the major restriction in this case. i feel like it's really going to wake up with the 3" as opposed to a half-clogged catalyst on a million mile old stock exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

matt92vr4

That is a beautiful Z. Hey what suspension are you running? I'm keeping the stock wheels forever and would like the car to sit like that, kinda...

I went to the track last week with my stock exhaust on. Ran a 14.3@95. Dropped the crappy stock exhaust and ran a 13.4@101. No other changes, so yeah your car will wake up a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DynastyLCD

the Z is truly gorgeous! spins 275 sized KDW's through 3rd too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Matt, i'm running Megan springs for a 1g, they are a 2" front and 1.9" rear drop, so basically 2" all around. i'm using parts store front struts, rear AGX's on 6, 2g rear strut tops. it's stupid low on the stock wheels. i can't wait to 5-lug it just to put 16's from a DSM on it and raise it slightly lol. i haven't experienced any real issues with clearance or bottoming out everywhere, but it's just a tiny bit too low for what i'd really like. i know going to 16's, or later to Evo 8 wheels like i really would like to, it will raise it up just enough to give me good ground clearance, while still having very nice fitment.

realistically, to duplicate this setup:

Megan Springs - $130
Rear AGX's - $165
Front GR2's - $110
2g Rear Strut Tops - free from parts cars/cheap at a junkyard

so about $405 if you've sourced the 2g rear strut tops. i noticed that the tops almost make up the difference in the 1g AWD springs as opposed to the GVR4 springs. it lifted the back up nicely and it still rides very nicely. even less of a chance of bottoming out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GSX_TC

My dream rims again, work meister S1's, such beautiful rims.

DynastyLCD

some ups, some downs. such is ownership of a GVR4.

my Evo 3 bit the dust... however, i added a 3" turbo-back exhaust with a catalyst, and also fixed a massive boost leak at the IAT sensor bung welded onto my 2g TB elbow. the car feels great. i have to fix a few manifold studs to fix an annoying exhaust leak, and i ordered a new TD05 turbine, 20g compressor wheel, rebuild kit, and bolt-on cover. everything i need to create a TD05 bolt-on, stock appearing 20g. the car woke up from the cutoff, haggard stock exhaust to the 3" turboback. currently, it does not have a muffler, but that's in the works. looking for something dual tip, 3" inlet and fairly affordable, while keeping it somewhat quiet and a good tone. i know everyone suggests magnaflows, and i do like their sound, i just can't justify shelling out 200+ for a muffler /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif sold my donor 1g shell today which was nice to get the extra funds and space available. now more parts and what not can be ordered for my GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DynastyLCD

i've been compiling parts for the G ride, and i'm happy to say i've made a good dent in my overall plans for the car. here's what i've got lined up ready to go in:

- FIC 650cc injectors to replace the Evo 560's
- ABS delete kit
- 1g Eclipse steering wheel
- HKS SSQV (thanks Abe for all of the above!)
- TD05 20g, in stock appearing cover
- HKS wastegate and Evo 3 manifold for when i ditch the stock appearing turbo (thanks Cory!)
- 4-bolt LSD & 5-lug rear subframe from an AWD Laser
- Evo 8 Enkei wheels
- 3g brake master cylinder
- 1g shifter (thanks blueboost68!)
- FWD 5-lug DSM spindles

the current engine developed a rod knock which i would attribute to the toasted turbo bearing material. i've got a stroker in the works to take it's place. the only things i really need are new tires for the Evo wheels, and the brake rotors to do the 5-lug setup. for the muffler, i'm pretty much set on buying the Vibrant muffler after seeing matt92vr4's exhaust. i'm going to do the flat black, but a dual tip. after the 5 lug and wheels are all done, i think it'll look great. stay tuned!

jogalant

I like the way your Galant sits! Frankly I like it when the car's front and rear are either dead level or with the rear just a smidgen lower. Nice work and good luck with the rest of the project.

GSX TC, don't know if your averse to knockoffs. I'm sure you can afford the real deal but just in case Rota sells their D2 line click and I think they look just as hot.

Many in the MR2 Turbo community have been rocking these rims and they love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

thanks! i think it will sit a lot nicer with the Evo 8's on there. tires are the missing link right now. they have got two brand new Sunny's and two bald tires. if i go new, probably go with some 245/45's or 245/40's.

i also forgot to mention, i have a nice matching EGT gauge and ported 2g manifold from Shane to install too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Man the sled looks good. I am going to be running a 20g also just got my 3 inch housing now
I am waiting on my billet wheel

GSX_TC

Quoting jogalant:

GSX TC, don't know if your averse to knockoffs. I'm sure you can afford the real deal but just in case Rota sells their D2 line click and I think they look just as hot.

Many in the MR2 Turbo community have been rocking these rims and they love it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nah I wouldn't like them, because they aren't the real thing, i wouldn't mind buying them for my chic's car though. Thanks for the link.

Gizmovr4

Phil,

The car is coming along great! I like your plans for it- keep up the great work! Nice to see this car went to a great home.

DynastyLCD

tonight i couldn't get much work done, but i managed to get the engine and trans about ready to come out, got all the ABS crap out of my car (thank god!) and installed the 3g brake master cylinder. it cleaned it up so much! i installed the non-ABS prop valve, and now i just need to finish installing the front hard lines to the rubber flex hoses. while the engine is out, i'm going to tackle this hacked wiring mess. i've got sh*t going everywhere under my hood from the PO, and i did the wrong thing by just leaving it. so it's all going to get fixed temporarily until i can get to Sal's parts car and rob his dash and underhood harnesses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

im up in the air about the meth setup that came with the car. i either plan on drilling/tapping the intake manifold for the 3.5 bar AEM MAP sensor that the meth injection system uses, and re-wiring everything clean, or just taking it all out and selling it. i've made all my power on pump 93 all these years without any help besides boost. maybe now is the time to change that? i don't know still.

Quoting blueboost68:
Man the sled looks good. I am going to be running a 20g also just got my 3 inch housing now
I am waiting on my billet wheel

i think the billet wheel is kind of a waste of money in the dollars per gains, at least with a 20g. billet wheel on a 35r or larger turbo - totally different story. that will be pretty sick though! i just wanted to go with the stock appearing route, and utilize the 34mm flapper Evo 3 hotside i just had repaired. i had a 3" 20g antisurge cover before and that was pretty cool.

thank you for the kind words, Nelson! i think the stroker is a bit much for the TD05 20g setup, i think i may have to go back to a big boy turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif by the way, you sir have a PM!

It was a trade deal so no cash lost its just going to be a temp thing. Waiting on my buddy to finish building my auto trans and then the 6466 is going on her.

Gizmovr4

Phil,

I just sent you a pm - I found a new Manley rod in the garage to complete your set - yours free of charge - just pay for the shipping. I want to see this car back on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may want to then send the set out to be balance weighed .

Nelson

DynastyLCD

update: no longer JSB!

after a few months down, 881 is back up and kickin' ass! here's some of what's been done to the car since it last ran:

ABS delete
5-lug swap
Evo 8 wheels
new rotors/pads all around
3g Eclipse 1-1/16" brake master cylinder
1g Eclipse steering wheel
Evo 8 shift knob
1g shifter arm

and the new additions to the drivetrain:

2.3 stroker setup
20g ebay turbo
Punishment o2 housing/TiAL 40mm wastegate
Cyclone intake manifold
new clutch master/slave cylinders
650cc FIC injectors
HKS SSQV/cleaned up IC piping

first and foremost, BIG THANKS TO NELSON (gizmovr4) who seriously saved my ass over a hundred bucks and a whole lot of grief trying to find a single manley H-beam. that one connecting rod came in handy way more than you'll ever know! thank you thank you thank you!!!

the stroker comes on strong and has great low end response, both in and out of boost. i can spin the 20g up to 22 psi by 2700-2800 in 4th and 5th gear. it may be due to the fact of not having boost in my life for some time now, but it really feels like this car gets up and goes. it just wants to keep moving! i'm really happy with it. still using the Evo 560's with extra base fuel pressure to get the bugs worked out, but i'll be droppin' in the FIC 650's pretty soon. or, maybe even skip that and go right for the PTE 1200's i've got /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

transparentdsm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif yay your back running again. car looks great, now show them the pictures of the bare block.... thats what i found impressive.

desant78

+1 for a great guy back with a great car! super clean/fast work once again Phil!

GSX_TC

Yay! Congrats! She def looks good man.

DynastyLCD

Thanks for the comments guys!

The 2.3 has awesome low end. Enough to spool up this beat ebay 20g to 22 psi by 2800 in higher gears. I'm loving the streetability of the setup, and it's surprisingly smooth... I'd even go as far as saying that it's smoother than my 2.0 setup. It's a totally different car now!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned