The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

8.5" wheel at +30 offset

Turbo99

No. The rears will make contact with the trailing arm without a spacer, but the wheels are +35 and 9" wide. An 8" wheel will not come as close and +30 will move it further away from the trailing arm (1/2 inch further away compared to my 9 with a 5mm spacer out back). However, the smaller the diameter the more that arm comes out, so I can't say with 100% confidence that it will clear, but I'm pretty sure it would. Typically slicks bulge off the wheels quite a bit, so I would be much more concerned with tire clearance with that setup. You can see how close the lip of these wheels get to the arm at 30mm, and a bulging tire would undoubtedly be hitting it. With an extra half inch of clearance you'll probably be okay but I can't say for sure.

The fronts clear the suspension just fine. I do have coilovers, though so again this will vary setup to setup. Here's a pic for reference:

4BNpTKl.jpg

Hope this helps some.

Last edited:

Turbo99

So these wheels finally made it onto the car with new tires about a month ago but I'm horribly lazy at updating the world outside of Facebook and Instagram about any progress with my turds.

For those of you trying to cram wheels/tires and wondering if they'll fit here were the final specs:

17x9 all around
+35 offset all around
5mm spacers out back
So final offsets are +35 front and +30 rear
235/40/17 Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs
2.9 degrees of camber on both sides up front
3.0 degrees of camber on both sides in the back

I lightly rolled the front fenders but it still will touch the tab that has the mount for the front fender liners (the rear most in the front wells) on hard dips that only affect one side of the car. I can probably heat it up and bend it out of the way, but I put rounded head allen bolts in there on both sides before hand so it's not digging into the tire at all.

The 5mm spacer definitely brings the rear closer to the way the fitment looks in the front but the rear track still looks more narrow (stupid Mitsubishi thing...). I may toss a set of 7mm or 10mm spacers on it at some point to see how it looks, as there is still some room between the tire and fender. No rubbing problems in the rear whatsoever.

And now for the pics:

pbLPzkP.jpg

gpziPim.jpg

PDrIDKT.jpg

If you have any questions about how the setup fits, or about anything at all let me know. I know when I was trying to figure out what would fit and what wouldn't I had to do some digging and ultimately decided that if Pontarolo's car could fit this setup at that offset, I could make it work and sure enough it fits like a glove.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

-3 in the rear, and with a 5mm spacer?

Is this to clear the rear arms? I'd think without a spacer you could run closer to 0 camber in the rear. I know a little is good, but -3 seems like a bit much, unless of course the spacers are required for clearance issues.

Turbo99

Scroll up a little on this page and you'll see what the trailing arm clearance looks like.

That was mocked up with washers as I didn't have the spacers yet, but it would be dangerously close or touching without a spacer in there.

The 3 degrees of camber in the rear is natural camber gained just from lowering, as the car doesn't have camber plates or anything.

I could probably get a camber kit and bring the camber out a tad to make it appear to sit as flush as the front if I wanted.

mitsuturbo

Ah. I gotcha.

Are you also running a 7th gen PS pump with a 4 rib belt? Mine is the only other GVR4 i've seen with this...

Turbo99

It's actually a 2g power steering pump.

Finding the right size belt was tricky. next step down from what's on there now is a big jump, and the next size up was fine at first but stretched to the point it would chirp even with the tension maxed out. The correct size was a bit of an odd-ball size that nobody really carries.

CutlassJim

I run a power steering pump from a 6 bolt Expo and agree the belt is a PITA to find.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Turbo99:
It's actually a 2g power steering pump.

Finding the right size belt was tricky. next step down from what's on there now is a big jump, and the next size up was fine at first but stretched to the point it would chirp even with the tension maxed out. The correct size was a bit of an odd-ball size that nobody really carries.

2g dsm.. 7g galant. same thing, innit? I had no issue finding a belt that fit properly. I just took a chunk of wire and made it into something that fit well and went down to the parts store.

I'm running a Gates K040270.

strokin4dr

Quoting mitsuturbo:
Ah. I gotcha.

Are you also running a 7th gen PS pump with a 4 rib belt? Mine is the only other GVR4 i've seen with this...

Running 2g ps pumps on both of my cars. 2g mount bracket w/ a cut and welded drivers mount also. Cleans up the area nicely!

GSTwithPSI

The wheels look great. I imagine that's what mine would look like if they weren't spaced out to clear my brakes.

Nice work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned