The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

#761 Getting some lovin' PICS

NYC86ZC

Just a little update. The car has been on the road for a week and it's been doing quite well. I put i on the road last friday and then the next day I had a chance to do some OT at work. Normally i'll take the train in to work, but considering it was a weekend and midday to late night work i wasnt going to hit traffic and i wanted to take the gvr4 in to test it out and have some fun. I had all good ideas except i should've taken my civic instead. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Going in to work was fine, but i ran into some issues on the way home. It was a rainy night and as i'm heading home i start to notice a slight burning coolant smell. The smell wasnt overpowering, but it was still there. I figured it was just more crap burning in the exhaust or a car in front of me. About 30 minutes into my ride home i look down at my temp gauge and i'm creeping up towards the red. I immediately pull over and pop the hood. I get a geyser shooting out from one of the small hoses coming out of the thermostat housing. It was a little slit in the hose, so it wasnt a major deal. I pulled a hose clamp off another non-essential hose and burn my fingers putting the clamp over the slit. I snug up the clamp with my screwdriver using my blackberry as a flashlight and getting soaking wet from the rain at 1am off the LIE in Queens.

A block over there was a gas station so i pick up some water, fill the radiator and get a few more bottles for the ride home "just in case". I made it another 20 minutes before i notice the temp gauge going up again. I pull over again and start to burn my fingers again on the same hose. This time around the hose split almost where it went into the thermostat housing. So i decided the best thing was to cut the bad section out and pull the hose from the other end and slide it over and use another hose clamp to tighten it down. That enabled me to get the rest of the way home.

Commute to work was 1hr...commute home was 2:30 hrs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Next day I took the car to the shop and replaced the hose and it's been fine ever since.

The only issues i'm having now is a squeaky alt belt and a weak battery. The PC680 must be getting old. Otherwise, it's been running really nice and the winter tires are already on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned