The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

6bolt Crankwalk on a completely stock car. 167k miles

Pulled the trigger on a clean looking (fingers crossed its that good when it shows up) VR4 RS motor. Shipping out tomorrow so I should see it in a week or two. Ill get the other stuff pulled and read to swap and start parting out the stock motor, tranny, head, xfer, turbo, etc.

4thStroke

I know of a stock rebuild long block for $2500 if need be.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

This is what I ended up getting.

click

Not super cheap, but getting a whole drivetrain package with 100k less miles was very appealing. I think I can part out all the stuff I have and make back close to $1k so overall it'll be about $1200 for a newer everything plus a couple upgrades that come with the RS motor.

BTW, I found the way to tell from the outside if its an RS motor or regular VR4 is the diamond start by the "MITSUBISHI". The USDM VR4 and JDM VR4 RS seem to have the same cover where the cyclone doesn't have the diamond star. Next thing to look for is the manifold. If it says "CYCLONE" then I don't think it'll be an RS. It should say "ECI MULTI TURBO INTERCOOLED" yet still have the dual runner manifold. Of course another clue is the yellow top injectors.

Terry Posten

Here is the info on the ECU.

JDM MT RS
8/90-3/92 MD165808
E2T37275
E952

It should be an EPROM unit also?

Check the caps ASAP.

Last edited:

Thanks!

One thing we're trying to figure out is if it has a 3.909 final drive or 3.545. Anyone have any info one what itll likely be and if I need to start looking for a 3.909 rear diff.

Found the tranny code in the pictures. Its a WQNK which is a 3.909 close ratio that came in the VR4 Evo.

Sooo, now I gotta find a 3.909 rear diff.

cheekychimp

Might be a pain finding one but well worth the effort in my opinion. 3.909 or lower are an absolute blast to drive and the turbo spools even quicker because you rev faster.

fuel

Quoting DallasJ:
This is what I ended up getting.

click

Not super cheap, but getting a whole drivetrain package with 100k less miles was very appealing. I think I can part out all the stuff I have and make back close to $1k so overall it'll be about $1200 for a newer everything plus a couple upgrades that come with the RS motor.

BTW, I found the way to tell from the outside if its an RS motor or regular VR4 is the diamond start by the "MITSUBISHI". The USDM VR4 and JDM VR4 RS seem to have the same cover where the cyclone doesn't have the diamond star. Next thing to look for is the manifold. If it says "CYCLONE" then I don't think it'll be an RS. It should say "ECI MULTI TURBO INTERCOOLED" yet still have the dual runner manifold. Of course another clue is the yellow top injectors.

Don't use that as gospel.

If you pulled a motor from a 1987, 1988 or early-mid 1989 JDM VR-4 RS you will find it still has the same 450cc blue top injectors, 14B turbo and 'CYCLONE' inlet manifold. And if you pulled the motor from a mid 1990, 1991 or early 1992 JDM 5 speed M/T non-RS VR-4 you will find it has the 510cc injectors, big 16G turbo and 'ECI MULTI' inlet manifold.

What you have is a motor and gearbox from an Evolution spec JDM VR-4 - ie any 5 speed M/T model made after May 1990, regardless if it's RS or not. The gearbox code suggests its NOT from an Evolution RS because the RS usually has a front LSD also which would have a different gearbox code to the non-front LSD 'WQNK'.

Cool, good info /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

On that particular motor you could see the yellow injectors but I agree, it can still be a crap shoot with what you get. So many variations over the years.

I ended up passing on that motor because I couldnt get a rear diff so the trans was basically useless for now. Im driving up to yakima (Home of 1051) to pick up a motor built by BrianAWD here (that bastard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) way back in 2004. Its pretty much exactly what the ski slut needs, a 6 bolts with 2g pistons and 1g rods and all new parts 20,000 miles ago.

Oh baby! Ill give you a call when I'm in the area. Planning on heading up early so we can do lunch, then a quicky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

cheekychimp

Damn Mark, you little minx. I thought it was all a rumour! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif You iz the noo Steef!

turbowop

Me and Dallas go way back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Lunch sounds good. You may have to drive though. I'm replacing cam seals on 503 and I dunno if I'll be done by tomorrow. Teh laziness is kicking in. And so is beer.

4thStroke

Mark, how about you head this way this weekend for Acrop and bring the motor with you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

turbowop

Girlfriend comes into town tomorrow. She might get a bit angry if I leave to see you guys and strippers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BTW, cam seals are done. Just took the car to the grocery store. Must have gotten a second wind after eating some food.

Last edited:

Nah, she doesnt seem like the type that would care /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Ok, couldnt make it up today. Jamie needed the Rav4 for moving and epic snow day was epic.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned