The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

555/1000

mitsuturbo

I got this stuff put together tonight.
Took my time, made sure thrust was at .005" clearance. Made sure everything was right and tight, and clearanced and aligned properly.

I did a little more cleaning in the engine bay as well. I still have a long way to go.

mitsuturbo

Thanks.
I would have had the head on and taken some photos of a little progress, but the douchebag i bought head studs from a while back apparently sent me his used JUNK, and i had to order new ones. Looks like a few more days delay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

mitsuturbo

I inspected them before installation, and some of the threads are completely buggered up. I'm not about to put this thing together with something of questionable quality. I'll be putting my aluminum JayRacing alternator Relocation kit on ebay soon as well. After reading about their breakage problems, i'm not about to risk that either.

mitsuturbo

Quoting Whoodoo:
So where's the alt gonna go? Is there any room for it up front with that big ol' turbo and intercooler?

I'll be doing one of two things.

1) just buy the jayracing STEEL alt. relo. kit

2) make my own out of steel

I'm thinking i'll take the easy way out, since i dont exactly have a torch, plasma cutter, or access to machine tools.
I'll probably just buy the steel one from jayracing.

They really should stop selling the aluminum relo kit.

Whoodoo

I didn't know there was a choice. And yes, if the aluminum ones are breaking, then they need to do something to fix it.

mitsuturbo

My b0rked turbo showed up today. I'm pretty damn happy with the purchase, considering i expected it to be in MUCH worse shape than it is.
The compressor housing is TOTALLY re-usable, and the turbine housing is just incredible. I should have bought one of these for my 3076r long ago.

OLD turbine housing - some reworked mitsu stock cast garbage

NEW turbine housing - Coated FP HOTNESS

Really can't beat it for $225 shipped, considering the turbine housing alone is $399 from FP. If and when this turbo goes kablooey, at least a replacement CHRA won't be crazy expensive. I could always just order the fp3065 chra. The guy i bought this blown up one from said they want ~$900 for one.

Yes, i know my compressor housing is FILTHY. I'll polish it up again before it goes in the car.

I just did some research on what i have here. Was it common knowledge that the FP3065 is basically just a Garrett GT3082r?

It looks like i could upgrade my 3076r to this compressor for pretty cheap now, since i have the housings and know the measurements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited:

AWDnoobie

The triple nickle is coming alone nicely. Looking forward to see the end result

mitsuturbo

Got some more parts lined up.. it'll all be coming together soon. I just have to get the rear end done before i finish up the engine and everything else. I'll have to have some things "professionally" welded, such as the aluminum IAT bung, and a bung for my EGT on the SS o2 housing. Here are some more photos. Check out the lines that came with my oil cooler... i wish they weren't well over $20 a foot or i'd have done ALL the lines under the hood with them.

-6 AN Fuel delivery/regulator setup

Setrab oil cooler with super lightweight and flexible lines.

-10 AN breather oil cap.. bottom view, with pushlok fitting i've had FOR EVER attached

Oil return line setup.. still need one fitting though.

UR cam gears and fuel filter

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

Kitty for emissions test day. "Muffler" for every other day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Semi assembled 3052 turbo... still waiting for the clamp to show up from FP.

Last edited:

mitsuturbo

I picked up another 4-Bolt rear end, complete with cups and all fasteners for ~$75 today. I saw it out at Pick-a-Part last weekend, and ran back up to Arlington to pull it this morning. I actually had it out in about 20 minutes with just hand tools! I'm pretty happy that i have a "spare" 4 bolt now. It's not like they're getting any EASIER to find. The nice thing is, it came off a car that appears to have never been modified. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mitsuturbo

I guess i'll put the oil pan on tonight... FINALLY.
I wanted to triple check the thrust clearance (crank end play) before putting it back together, so i went and got a dial indicator and checked it again. I've been doing it for years with feeler gauges, but it's hard to get at the top of the thrust bearing that way. I wanted to make DAMN sure it was perfect. It's a good thing i did. I popped the bearing cap loose and forced pressure both ways once again before tightening it down. I was barely at .003" before i did this. Now it's right where i wanted it... right at .004". Luckily i didnt have to wet sand a thrust bearing this time around.

mitsuturbo

WTF is this chutter?

Anyhoo, i got some more put together yesterday. I polished my intake manifold a bit more. Pointless, i know.. but i like the way it looks.

BTW, that valve cover came new from the dealer less than 2 years ago. PO paid over 3 bills for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:

4wheelsqueal

build looks awesome! i daily drive 555/2000 but she's got over 276,000 and isn't is as good a condition as yours is in. good luck with the build!

mitsuturbo

Not much of an update, but i took some new pictures after i got my MV-r mounted, and figured out i can run my FMIC plumbing a bit shorter of a route.

mitsuturbo

Wow, i just looked at this and realized it's been a month since i made any progress, other than putting 2g style injector clips on my engine harness, and getting some welding done on my FMIC.

I *hate* holidays. Such bullshit. Holding me up spending money on my car and getting it on the road.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned