The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

521/1K Is Getting A Facelift

BluFalcon

Drove the Galant today, after letting it sit idle for awhile. I had some driveline issues that I wanted to try and sort out before I started driving it again. Got the car back from paint a few months ago and went ahead and got the parts to install new U-Joints, carrier bearings and Torque Solution driveshaft bushings. I also went ahead and swapped in another 4 bolt to see if I could get a whining noise to go away. New rear end, did cause noise to diminish slightly, but I think the poly rear subframe and mustache brace bushings are just transferring a lot of driveline noise into the car. Getting a slight clunk noise when I turn to the right while driving. I have the Jay Racing passive steering elimination kit, so it's possible it's just the Heim joints making noise. Everything looked, good to go and tight while I was under the car, so I'm inclined to drive it till something falls off. Ahh well.

Took it to a buddies house to watch a movie and eat pizza today. he snapped a few pics of it in the driveway, so I figured I'd post up. Felt good to drive the car again, after so long. Now I get to add more stuff I have stashed away for it. Heh, heh.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

IMG009.jpg

IMG010.jpg

Chad989of2000

So clean...great work man.

Badass paint job, the rims, 93 lights, jdm with the fogs, it all works really well. Bravo.

BPU925

Wow man this thing looks absolutely gorgeous!

BluFalcon

Quoting kartorium:
Wow! Amazing looking!

What kind of black is on the hood? Matte clear?

Semi Gloss Black is what I was told. I'll have to ask the painter, exactly what he used.

Paul: Yeah, your new car and mine are damn close to each other. Yours looks great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the compliments guys. Just wish i could drive it some more. The new rear end has fixed the whining noise. but I still have a thunk coming from the right rear wheel. If the car is moving and turning to the right, you can hear a cyclical "thunking" noise coming from the passenger rear of the car as the car tracks through the turn. Had a shop install new bearings when I had the 5 lug swap done. Guess I get to take it apart and see if there's anything obviously awry.

Last edited:

curtis

Ed that has to one of my favorite cars on the board now. Holy crap your painter has some sick skills and the wheels and trim all flows and works together. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Also the hood looks great, That's been my plan for years now to tape off and do the exact same treatment but probably just going to do matte clear over the already green basecoat, Get that thing over to the park or some lake and do a proper photo op and post them up.

Looks like 521 is the new 1051 cause Mark has some new competition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Beautiful car...

love the paint work.

SmoothCustomer

Ugh! You beat me to the punch. This is pretty similar to what I was trying to make 372 look like, although I don't have a JDM hood. Either way the car looks spectacular!

turbowop

Quoting curtis:

Looks like 521 is the new 1051 cause Mark has some new competition. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No way, man. This ain't a competition, it's a cooperation. We're gonna make some other car guys jelly of our four door boxes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

BluFalcon

Made a few additions to the car recently:

TSW Nurburgrings 17X8, +35, 245/40/17 Sumitomo Tires- Swapped over to these wheels from the SSR Competitions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif for the future 3KGT VR-4 Brake install.

Smoked MMC/Mitsu Diamond Badge and Factory New VR-4 Badge- Still haven't gotten around to getting the exhaust tip fixed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

I like the TSW's, but think I might have made a mistake in not getting the Matte Grey wheels instead of the polished machine face. I'm really going to miss the SSR's on the car though. I did notice that the front wheels stick out a bit past the fender. I should be able to dial in some camber to try and bring the tops in a bit. I'm still trying to decide what ride height I want for the car. The way it sits, I haven't rubbed once since installing the new wheels and tires. I think it'd look better just a hair lower.

I'm also hearing a metal on metal noise that only seems to occur when I turn the wheel to the right while the car is in motion. It's coming from the front driver's side wheel. I've had the car up in the air, with the wheel off to try and figure out WTF the problem is. I did trim the brake heatshields to test fit the 3KGT calipers awhile back, which left the ABS harness without a place to be bolted to. I zip tied the clamp shut to retain it on the harness, but it's not secured to anything at this time. Wheel bearings were replaced with new units awhile back when the 5 lug swap was done. I'll jack it up tomorrow and see if the axle nut was torqued down properly.

GSX_TC

Nice, the smoked tails look good with that color

chrisfullwood

Man your car looks awesome, i love that color. Even though my galant is summit white, i'm seriously thinking about saying screw staying with factory, and getting it painted k. grey. It looks sick.

nice job all round, hats off to the painter.

BluFalcon

Been awhile since I updated this, but have made a few new changes to the car. First I went ahead and ditched my old AGX/H&R Combo, in favor of a set of GVR-4 Ground Controls with Koni Yellow fronts. I kept the rear AGX's as there wasn't anything wrong with them. The fronts as expected were completely blown. Removed the guts from the AGX's and installed the Koni inserts along with the Ground Control setup. Took the struts home and painted the front housings red, reassembled and installed on the car.
IMG005.jpg

IMG004.jpg

Got a buddy who works at a Mercedes dealership, so I was able to get it on the alignment rack immediately afterwards to get everything setup and aligned.
IMG013.jpg

I was originally going to go with a 3KGT VR-4 brake setup. but happened upon this Baer 13in Track Kit from a 1G Talon that a local was parting out. Decided to go with these instead, so I could keep my SSR Competitions. The TSW Nurburgrings I bought to clear the 3KGT calipers are rather nice, but I just didn't care for how they looked on the GVR-4. They'll probably look better on the 97 Spyder I just picked up as a daily driver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
IMG028.jpg

IMG077.jpg

IMG078.jpg

Since I was keeping the SSR's I figured they could use some new rubber, so some BF Goodrich T/A KDW'
s in 235/40/17 were ordered.
IMG148.jpg

Finally installed a FP3052 that I've had lying around from my old Talon AWD, and after a few days driving it found out that the alternator really didn't like a cast FP O2 housing right next to it without a heatshield, so I went ahead and pulled everything to have it all ceramic coated.

IMG094.jpg

IMG113.jpg

Still have a bunch of stuff I want to do to the car, but school and work constantly conspire to keep me out of the garage. Pretty happy with the way the car has turned out so far and enjoy driving it around.
IMG165.jpg

IMG164.jpg

DiPalooza 2011 Northstar Dragway @ The Dallas Imports booth. The white Talon is my old 90 AWD that is now owned by a friend of mine.

IMG167.jpg

This isn't the Talon you're looking for. (For the record, that's not my Stormtrooper helemt.)

IMG118.jpg

521_Interior.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned