The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

477 sat all summer...won't start

BrandonEchols

OK, so I usually ride my motorcycle during the summer...a lot.
I let my car sit a couple months without being run, went to start it the other day and it cranks, but won't jump to life.
I drained the old gas, and added a gallon of fresh, along with a little Lucas injector cleaner/treatment stuff, and put in fresh NGK BPR6ES'.
Still not starting...
Where should I go next?
I need to figure this out, it's starting to get chilly up here.

Terry Posten

Pull the ECU. Check for leaking caps.

BrandonEchols

Pulled ECU...not 100% on what I'm looking for...but here's what I found:
(Click for fullsize)

The last picture shows the only thing that caught my eye (and I almost overlooked it, as the rest of the ECU looks so clean), next to one of the larger caps, it looks like a small area of brownish-tan something...I don't know if that's the sign of a leaking cap, and if so - what are my next steps?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Yeah, that is most likely your problem. The brownish goo above that cap you pointed to is acid and is eating the copper traces and lifting the surface mount parts right off the board. And when that happens, it starts blowing up chips.

I do not repair ECUs anymore but ECMTuning does (only replace caps on working units). click I would bet that it is going to cost you about $150 to have that repaired.

The only other option is to buy a used one.

BUT make sure it is a working unit that has had the caps replaced already. Expect to pay anywhere from $200-$300 for a guaranteed working Eprom unit

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Not to rub salt in your wounds but the very top post in this section is all about this.

click

BrandonEchols

Thanks Terry. Just put in a KGC and it fired right up. Although I'm not sure if this one has had it's caps replaced either...I may try to clean it up and do them myself.
I already have an evo 8 unit and knock sensor, but don't plan on doing that until next spring/summer when I have some time to tackle it and sort out the tuning.
I remember seeing that when I joined up and thinking to myself "sh*t, I need to have that done ASAP"...but then I just never got around to it.

alansupra94

Damn if you lived in the normal states, I would have replaced your caps for free since I have a double set.

BrandonEchols

Quoting alansupra94:
Damn if you lived in the normal states, I would have replaced your caps for free since I have a double set.

I'll mail you the ECU and pay return shipping on it if you'll still do it...

Terry Posten

Just cleaning and replacing the caps most likely won't fix it. If it is not running before caps/cleaning, it won't work after.

Good luck.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned