The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 Bolt Rear End.

Hey whats up, sorry for such a beatin to death question, but im from the Evo world and have a Galant VR-4 for a daily, but im looking to upgrade it preatty far.

If i upgrade to an Eclipse 4 bolt, will i need to delete 4WS, i would like to keep it,thanks

I don't believe the 4 bolt upgrade requires a 4WS delete. It's pretty much the same stuff only thicker as far as I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Yes, this has been beaten to death. I recommend searching the following "+4 +bolt +aws" or something along those lines.

The short answer to your question is no. You don't have to ditch your AWS. HOWEVER! This is not a straight forward swap. You will have to use your stock 3-bolt differential housing and then transfer the 4-bolt guts into it. Plus some other things that I'm not familiar with. If you put in a plain 4-bolt you will have to remove AWS. Which is actually what most people choose to do.

mitsu90

Yes you can keep the 4WS, I believe there is a how to on this I looked but couldn't find it.

I opted to delete the rear steering just because of the hassle of leaky lines...You might find yourself doing the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I really like the idea of 4WS, so i think ill keep it.

So im sure ill have to use axles from an eclipse right?

belize1334

Watch the FS section both here and on the DSM forums. Ebay sometimes has them also. I got mine off of craigslist and they also show up at junk-yards sometimes. You'll need the differential, the associated axles and also the axle cups which get pulled out of the rear hub using a steering wheel / gear puller. Personally, I think the 4ws is a downside to the factory arrangement since it is on/off and not progressive so it causes the steering angle to change abruptly at around 30 mph. Still, if you want to keep it you're not the first and it has been done. Read this.

I agree with the above. I drove my friend's Prelude with AWS and it was a totally different ball game. I hate the aws in the galant but loved it in the prelude.

+1 for junkyards...their are a ton out there and not too bad on the pricing if you get them on the phone.

DailyDSM

Junkyards are your best bet. Just make sure you get one from a manual transmission car as the automatics have a different gear ratio. They can usually be had for anywhere between $75 - $150 vs paying upwards of $300 from online forums. If you have the right tools, you can get them out in less than an hour and it is easier to just drop the whole rear subframe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned