The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS worth keeping?

BrandonEchols

I did some searching, and found both people that swear by the 4WS, and those who delete it and never look back.
In the future, I plan on doing the 4 bolt LSD rear end, 3KGT rear "trailing arms" I guess (to be able to mount the 3KGT 4 pistons all around, and keep the E-brake), Evo 9 MR Bilsteins are already on the way, and I'll also be doing the 5-lug/ABS delete.
I guess my question is: should I bother with swapping the 4-bolt LSD into my 3-bolt housing and keeping the 4WS, or should I just go with the active toe in (passive 4WS) like the 1G? and call it good?

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Don't worry about keeping the AWS. Pull all the lines and rack, swap in a TEL fluid reservoir, and get the 4-bolt in.

You wont miss it and it most likely will keep you from dumping PS fluid all over the place when a line goes. (And it will go eventually)

I plan on keeping mine until it gets too expensive to do it reasonably. I think it's fun as hell.

Whoodoo

^^^ agreed. I think 'if its not broken, don't fix it' philosophy applies to the 4ws situation. If you find a 4 bolt lsd rear and are ready to do the swap, I don't think you'll miss it much, but I would leave it alone if its functional at the moment.

I know I have a low mile car and haven't had much experience with the PS leakage problem back there, but I'm gonna keep mine until the the 4bolt and 3kgt arms come around.

Launch

So i must outta it.....swaping in my 4 bolt LSD into my current 4ws pumpkin....

i am dedicated to keeping mine sheerly for the uniqueness factor and to see people give quizzical stares when they learn that the plain looking faded jalopy is fast with turbo, 4wd and 4ws. I could understand people taking it out so I don't knock it as I see their reasoning.

BoostedAWD91

what size bolt is needed to plug the rear steering lines? Drain plugs work ive heard but never confirmed it

BrandonEchols

I've always been in favor of keeping it.
I was more asking about when it's time to do the 4 bolt swap, and I've heard a little about people having issues with the lines and such...was curious about the consensus among the org members.
I think I'll end up keeping it, I was also curious about the compatibility of the 4WS with the 3KGT trailing arms and the other mods I mentioned.
Can't wait to get started on the updates and improvements, as I just picked mine up in February.

I totally agree with Jay "crankwalk", I couldn't of said it better myself. To me, it's part of what made a gvr4 what it is. I'll keep mine how it was originaly off the production line, minus a few bolt ons. Nothing that can't be returned to its stock form.

Muskrat

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
what size bolt is needed to plug the rear steering lines? Drain plugs work ive heard but never confirmed it

Best bet is to cut off the flair end of the tube you're removing and have them welded closed. When I tried to use drain plugs they worked on one line, but not the other. You'll never have a problem is you just have the tube welded closed.

i'm going to keep the 4WS until i can no longer find parts for it, i love how it feels when i throw the car into a turn and the 4ws kicks in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BoostedAWD91

Quoting Muskrat:
Quoting BoostedAWD91:

Best bet is to cut off the flair end of the tube you're removing and have them welded closed. When I tried to use drain plugs they worked on one line, but not the other. You'll never have a problem is you just have the tube welded closed.

yeah i never thought about that. Thanks

raptorWagon

I believe it really comes down to A) what your mod path is and B) condition of the 4WS system, specifically the lines. 1350 already had the lines capped off when I picked it up, but those caps failed and instead of trying to fix the caps I just yanked all the stuff out. I did fix the low pressure line caps, but as soon as I fired the car up it started pissing out by the rack /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

BrandonEchols

Another quick question:
How is the 4WS system handled?
I was just reading about the Evo ECU in the 1G, and that sounds awesome because of the tuning options available for the Evo ECU...but does the GVR4 ECU handle the 4WS?
Could I run the Evo ECU and keep my 4WS?

Last edited:

raptorWagon

You would be fine, it is not controlled by the ECU. It's all hydraulics. Removing powersteering would disable it.

turboflanagan

The system on my car seems to be in good shape and is leak free. I have not removed anything except the tierods. On MY car, the aws was just plain scary. There was no sense of control and certainly no sense of added steering ability for benefit. After just a few experiences with it I simply disconnected the tierods because I hated it so much. I could never know when the rear would start steering or how much it would alter and what the results would be.

With my experience, I think that people who say they love it are either 1) CRAZY!!!, 2) have a much better rear suspension setup than I did, or 3) are not driving their car very hard at all.

Bottom line for me is that I want to know what the car is going to do when I turn the wheel. I don't want surprises. And surprises are what I got every time with the rear wheel steering hooked up.

No thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned