The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3000gt 11/16" slave cylinder

prove_it

Quoting Wookalar:
Quoting prove_it:
.... I'll be shimming it once I do a new clutch.

Ahhhh, the dsmer mentality bandaid fix! Kill it with fire!

Ah, yea that was an attack. Pretty much saying I was wrong.

tektic

Pedals are welded with brass bushings... Everything has been addressed. Need more throw.

prove_it

I've never tried the 3KGT slave. I've heard about it, but I can't say for sure if it's going to do the trick. If the mounting tabs and dimensions are the same then I'd say it should work, but how much improvement, dunno? I will say that shimming the pivot does seem to remedy this issue, as long as all other parts have been inspected. If you do, be sure to use a hardened washer or spacer and put a little blue lock-tite on the pivot.

Also aftermarket Master cylinders are known to create issues too. OE is the only one I ever use.

tektic

It mounts up differently. The tabs go on the oposite side of the bell housing and longer bolts need to be utilized. I have read that much. I will explain clearer with pictures when I know more.

Wookalar

Quoting tektic:
Pedals are welded with brass bushings... Everything has been addressed. Need more throw.

Interesting.

Odd that the factory doeant use shim and everythimg works fine until twenty years later. If no shim is needed in the beginning, why would it be needed later even with new parts?

turbowop

Because aftermarket parts aren't always built to the exact same tolerances as OE. Not to mention the amount of pressure it takes to disengage some of the heavier clutch setups. I don't half ass my sh*t, yet even I use a shim on my current setup.

prove_it

^exactly.

You can't compare OEM parts to aftermarket. They are always different in dimensions in some way. Also Mark hit it on the head about running pressure plates with higher than stock spring rates.

tektic

I'm using a south bend clutch and Fidenza flywheel oem tob all new.

Can't tell if your trolling or your really trying to help!

No part of my car is "factory"! It actually came automatic! The only thing 20 years old is the metal and the paint. If you have no input on, or interest in the topic (3000gt 11/16" slave cylinder) besides your $h!t is broken fix it... then why are you talking?

I have read 100 of these disengagement threads. Everything is new... there's the slightest of leaks at my banjo on my slave. (Slightly moist around copper washers after a couple days) 30 seconds after it is bled it works, and continues to work for a few weeks. However it disengages at the floor. All the adjustment are maxed out.

My assumption is just a new slave isn't going to do what I need it to. I want a slave with a longer throw, there for a smaller cylinder. Available for this trans I found 3/4" and 13/16". I dont want a longer rod, just longer throw. I found 11/16 listed for some of the 3000gt vr4 slaves. The only info I have found is that it can and has been made to fit even though it mounts differently than our factor slave. There is no longer any correspondence with the original poster of this statement. I started a new thread to discuss it's use in our application not go over what I all ready know. This should be in technical not newb and that's my fault.

prove_it

I take it your referring to Wooklar....

Anyways, Can you post up a pick of where the clutch fork is sitting at rest and during full extension?

In theory the 11/16th slave should provide more throw as long as the body is the same dimensions length wise. As mentioned though the longer master rod from the 2g looks like a possible fix too, as long as it doesn't push the piston too far and cause slipping and prevents self adjustment. I kinda wanna try it myself too.

I really wish someone would develop a slave cylinder that mounts closer to the trans and has an accessible bleeder valve. That would be amazing.

Last edited:

Wookalar

I was actually trying to help, no need to get kuai style butthurt.

So if all parts were new but oem then there would be no need for shimming? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

In theory, yes. New everything including OE flywheel and clutch. But who uses OE versions of those on modified cars? I certainly don't. Most require something with more clamping force.

Last edited:

strokin4dr

That's what I've been saying all along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

prove_it

We all have.

Wookalar

I thought this was another extended slave rod thread. It sorta is, with a side of shimming. I have read posts from old fart nabr guys saying that shimming the ball is a band aid fix, as is the extended rod, both claims with no specifics to stock or modded cars.

The slave cylinder relation to the issue OP is having has been discussed countless times too. If the slave cylinder bore is too big doesn't the cylinder get stuck or block fluid?

OP never said originally that he had his pedalbox upgraded, which is why I mentioned it.

turbowop

The slave cylinder bore size isn't what blocks fluid or stops the self adjusting feature of the clutch. It changes the amount of throw. Screwing the master cylinder rod into the master cylinder is what causes the self adjusting feature to not work.

tektic

Aisin made in Japan part in Dorman box
Bleeder is on the bottom too.

I'm not playing with it tonight, maybe Saturday.

Another thing I should probably mention is I rotated the end of clutch pedal slightly before I welded it, so I have more adjustment on my master rod. I'm maxed out because the pedal hits the top stop, but I have more threads to turn if I could. This may in itself be the issue. But I cut and welded those pedals 5 time before I got it to work at all and this was the only way it did.

Last edited:

prove_it

Having the bleeder on the bottom will make getting all the air out a huge PITA. It's going require some time.

I was thinking about this last night and started to wonder about finding a larger bore master cylinder instead. It would basically give the same throw but allow it in a smaller pedal movement. Do all the galants have the same bore? What about Eclipses in all years?

tektic

13/16 or 3/4

I heard about using a q45 or Isuzu cylinder

Bigger cylinder would be less movement for same pedal throw.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned