The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

282/1000 (Eris) build. mild update 3 september

pot

Staff member
That is a beautiful piece of hardware you have there. I'm glad you hung onto it. Out of curiousity can you talk a bit about how much the upgrade costed, what upgrade options were available and how long the process took?

DynastyLCD

yeahhh buddy.... turbo looks awesome Tyler!!!

i'm still pretty furious about the 5th gear pictures you sent me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif if it were up to me, i'd probably beat him 9/10ths of the way to death with his fucked up 5th gear screaming "OH UPS DID THIS HUH???" people these days... seriously.

it's going to be like christmas for me when i get all your packages... until i realize that none of it is for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ducttapeguy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Phil you crack me up

Yeah Im still pissed about the 5th gear thing too. For those wondering I bought a 10% taller 5th gear from a dude on toonerz. He said it needed light deburring. Still for 50 bucks thats not too bad. I pay him and then I get this in the mail.

I dont think it will work so good...

Anyway, the turbo. It cost me 550 for the rebuild and upgrade to the 60-1 wheel from FP. If you dont count my lollygagging Id say the total time everything took was about a week and a half to 2 weeks. I didnt discuss wheel options too much. When I talked to them on the phone we spent most of the time talking about the possibility of going BB instead of JB. I also wasnt 100% sure of the specs on the turbo. So I sent it in and got an email back a couple days later saying that the 60-1 wheel was recommended. I posted about it a week or so ago. Overall Im happy with the service and price. I will withhold final judgment until I get the car together and dialed in. I have a feeling its gonna be insane

desant78

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif just plain awesome man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

GSX_TC

60-1 FTW!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nate

That's gonna be a great turbo for that setup, Tyler. Sorry I took so long to get you that sticker. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ducttapeguy

Well hell.

I was out working on the G today and started to get some good work done. I got all the ABS crap out as well as the stupid long AC line that runs across the entire firewall and down the drivers side of the engine bay. Annoying. I also started removing all the little tabs and clips and whatnot that hold the wiring harnesses in place so I can get all that out of the way when its time to scrub, clean and paint the engine bay. While I was doing that I started following a wire that went into the the wheel well on the passenger side. I had to take out the wheel well liner and when I did I found a giant hot mess of dirt, leaves, bugs and rust behind the trim right in front of the front door. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Damn damn damn. I got discouraged and decided to call it quits for the day.

On the way back on post I was thinking about how much work needs to be done to this car to get it done. As soon as I get one thing complete 5 or 6 more things show up that need to be taken care of. Its insane. I really really really miss driving my car. I want to get it done as quickly as possible. Problem is, I am on a set income with no chance for overtime money. I work from 5 in the morning until 4 or 5 in the evening. That leaves me with a maximum of 5 hours to get off work, change drive to my buddys house where I store the car(15 mins)get all my tools out to start working on the car, partially tear down the car(every single time I work on it I have to tear it down a bit and then put it back together a bit due to stupid housing restrictions) do some work before the light fades, put the car back together, clean up and head back on post. This is also assuming I dont have any pressing work issues to take care of first. Its driving me crazy. lol

I have decided that I need to do something drastic. I am going to take a week or so off from trying to work on the G and attempt to find a place that I can put it on a lift, leave it partially disassembled at night, come and go as I please and get some serious work done on it. At this point I am thinking that my goal for completing the car by August is unrealistic due to the amount of work that still needs to be done. I do not want to rush anything or cut any corners. That means I will be slowing everything down even more than I already am. I am going to damn near gut the car and make it a shell. From there I will take it a little at a time and do everything right and make this one of the cleanest Galants. I will also do my best to do alot of the work myself. I dont want to just throw money at the car and say look at what I had built. I want to be able to say hell yeah I built this car. Top to bottom front to back. It was me.

Everything is going to need to be cleaned and replaced where possible. Just removing the headlights today I broke 2 bolts just loosening them. The heads snapped right off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am gonna do everything to this car. Pretty much the only thing I wont be removing will be the dash. Once I have it stripped down and cleaned up I will get it painted. The carpets will be cleaned and dyed if necessary. Ill probably even remove the sound deadening and replace it with new sh*t. Its gonna be all out. Im also going to do a full EVO SSL interior. I also decided yesterday that I will be running e85. Turns out there are more stations nearby than I initially thought. That should help me reach and surpass my power goals as well as give a bit of a buffer for the heat down here.

Anyway, sorry for the long ass post. And no pics?! What was I thinking?? Oh well. Next time. Yall will get over it.

Tyler

desant78

bravo tyler! your pissed but not giving up yet, that's the important part! It'll seem like forever, but once your out and about driving it all the time, you'll be so happy you took the time to do it right!

keep it up mang!

GSX_TC

Good job Tyler! Glad to see you haven't givent up like others had, but yeah man when I was stationed in camp pendleton, we had something called a hobby center where you could leave your car there just like you said, and always come and work on it whenever you want, I believe they charged a small fee but it wasn't much if you were military. They had lifts, tools, pretty much anything. Do you think y'all have one of those down there on your nearest base?

ducttapeguy

Yeah we have one, but they charge an hourly rate and then extra if you leave your car there. I did the same kind of thing up at Ft Drum for about 2 months and it cost me damn near $300. I just cant afford to spend all that money on storage fees. If that was the case then I would just get a storage unit. Which actually isnt a terrible idea...

GSX_TC

I guess army charges more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif That's ridiculous. Well hopefully you'll figure it out. 94 more days till the shootout so get to it buddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ducttapeguy

Its been a long time since I have updated this. Been stupid busy

In the last 3 months I have made almost zero progress on the Galant. But that doesnt mean I havent been doing things to make progress happen soon. I have gotten a second job at a speed shop outside Ft Hood called SWG Automotive and Performance. They deal mainly in GM vehicles but they can work on pretty much anything. Im basically the shop bitch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif I do a lot of cleanup and organization around the shop and help out where I can mechanically(not a whole lot) It all works out well though since I dont have a set schedule and my boss is a cool dude. He has a turbo 6.0 AWD truck that runs mid to high 9s and is basically a DD. Its almost full weight. Stereo, AC, all that jazz. Its a monster. Anyway, I get paid weekly and I am allowed to make full use of the shop to work on my car. So I have access to lifts, tools, a welder, so on and so forth. So what it biols down to is I have a place to store the G and work on it when I have time.

Over the last 3 months I have also been collecting parts. This is part of what I have.

I sent most of that off to Phil yesterday so I can have a motor in the near future. I also recently sold my CRV so I had some extra cash to spend on parts. Im grabbing up most of what I need, the rest will have to wait until I can save up some more money, which shouldnt take too long since Im saving about 300 a month with no car payment.

I feel like a hoarder right now thinking about all the stuff I have for the car. Off the top of my head and excluding the parts I just shipped to Phil I have 2 transmissions, 3 intercoolers, full poly bushing kit, manual steering rack, new control arms, front and rear strut tower braces, and all kinds of stuff in storage and inside the G. Its nuts.

Today, I got to do a tiny bit of work. I started cleaning up the transmission and t-case. They were covered in salt dirt and road grime from NY and the trip down here. I used a drill with a wire wheel and got close to done with the cleanup today
I didnt take a full before pic, but you can see what I was working to clean up

My stopping point for today

Once I finish with the cleanup I am going to paint everything to make it pretty and protect it. Thats about it for now. Should be more frequent updates now that I have the ability to make update worthy progress

Tyler

strokin4dr

Looking good bro. Keep it up!

ducttapeguy

Well today I decided to see just how bad the damage is behind the wheel well liners. Its not pretty

Its about the same on the passenger side too. Hopefully it wont be too hard to repair.

ducttapeguy

Well, I have gotten a little bit done over the last few weeks. I sent some parts out to be sand blasted, and I got most of the front crossmembers removed. Just a few more bolts and everything will be out of there. Then it will be wire wheel time to get all that road grime surface rust and other crap off and get some undercoating going on. Here are a few pics for you guys to drool over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All pretty and clean after sandblasting.

Progress is happening its just going much slower than I had hoped. I will keep updating when anything worthwhile happens

Tyler

GSX_TC

Any progress is good progress. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned