The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

282/1000 (Eris) build. mild update 3 september

ducttapeguy

Hey all. After my long drive in 282 down to Texas I have started to tear her down and order parts. I am planning on a full build/ restoration. Its gonna be slow going due to the car being in my grandparents driveway 150 miles away from me so I will only get to work on it a little at a time and only on weekends. It will also be interrupted in November when I deploy back to Afghanistan for the 3rd time. Luckily its only going to be for 9 months and I will have deployment money for the build when I get back.

My plans for the car are:

Engine
9.5:1 10 over Venolia pistons on shot peened rods
ACL bearings all around
ARP headstuds
Crower 264/272 cams
Upgraded valvetrain
Lightly ported head
Fully functioning Cyclone intake manifold
All new OEM accessories
1000cc injectors

Transmission
Rebuilt by Jackstransmssions.com
10% taller 5th
4 spider center diff
New clutch(not sure whats good anymore)
COP setup

Electronics
DSMLink v3 on speed density
Upgraded radio
new speakers
10" sub
Battery in the trunk

Cooling
New aluminum radiator with a badass fan(s)
Big FMIC with short route piping

Turbo/intake
My baller old skool HKS turbo kit rebuilt and upgraded to a bigger wheel
Everything heat wrapped and ceramic coated
Lots of heatshields
Build an intake box behind the passenger headlight

Suspension
Whiteline front and rear swaybars
Evo 8 suspension with Espelir springs
17" wheels (not sure which ones yet)
Cusco strut tower braces
Poly bushings everywhere
Manual steering rack
5 lug
Curtisco subframe connectors

Exhaust
new 3" TBE

Exterior
Either JDM bumpers or shortened USDM bumpers
New paint (thinking either all new BG or maybe BG on top and NB on the bottom)
Vented JDM hood
AMG wing or wingless

Brakes
Either 3kgt brakes or a big brake kit
SS lines all around

Misc
Partial wire tuck
Evo seats(the pretty black ones)
Wally 255 rewired
4WS delete
ABS delete
Rebuilt 4 bolt LSD
Working AC

Im sure there is more I just cant think of anything else right now. I am planning on rebuilding and powder coating everything underneath the car. Its gonna be one hell of a project, but it should turn out pretty good as long as I dont eff something up bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Im hoping to make 400-450ish hp to the wheels and have the car be pretty damn reliable and very streetable. We shall see.

Here is what I have so far

Partial of the manual steering rack. Ewww, needs a rebuild and cleaning

The HKS turbo. Soon to be shipped out rebuilt and upgraded /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Ill try to get more pics next time Im working on the car and keep updating this thread as often as possible. Wish me luck.

Tyler

Edit: I know this is kinda morbid and dark, but if I dont make it back from the Ghan this time can someone finish this thing and take care of it for me? And no Im not planning on not coming back, this is just a worst case scenario thing. lulz

Last edited:

curtis

God Damn it don't....You know better......sh*t Damn 3 corps tanker MF's......You been eating brisket and drinking lone star with those assholes at Belton Lake haven't you. There always dark and twisted cause they ride in a steel box with a target all the time.
Don't count days, don't say x and a wake up and don't ask someone to do something you can do when you get back or mail a fricking letter.

You know this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Like telling someone in Group to have a good jump or break a leg....just bad juju

Yes its covered, you granted a last request for my brother so you know it will be done and the COP will be waiting in the shop for you next summer. Hell I'll even see that someone takes it to the shootout and acts a fool in it.

Like I said when you left the driveway that day, no hero sh*t and read your forearm daily.....For you that don't know our man has a wicked tattoo on his forearm. If he wants to share its up to him.

Oh and something else you still owe me a little Tabasco bottle full of sand and need to get Daddy wants some 550 cord for the flag so I expect that to be in your kit bag as you leave. Can't punch out owing my Dad

ducttapeguy

Haha, no worries Curtis. We arent deploying with the Cav dudes or the damn tankers. Just the Infantry guys so no giant target on a Bradley for this guy, and Ill be sure to bring back some sand in a tobasco bottle and some 550 cord. And just so you know I keep this in mind all the time.

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country. -George S. Patton

For those interested, my tattoo that Curtis is talking about says Memento Mori. It means remember your mortality

I do still plan of finishing my car so dont worry about having to build mine because some asshole got off a lucky shot. Id really hate for you to have two green Galants to finish}:D /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Tyler

curtis

ASS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

ducttapeguy

OK my new unit switched it up on me. I will not be deploying any time soon, so now its just a slow build of 282/1000

Tyler

ducttapeguy

Update:
282/1000 is now in my friends driveway so its a lot closer and easier to work on. I have been collecting parts and doing a little bit of work lately. Today I tried to pull the motor but ran out of light/patience. Tearing everything down has been kinda depressing. I have found a lot more rust than I remember and its just taking so damn long. I miss driving my Galant. The CR-V just doesnt do a damn thing for me emotionally. lol

Anyway, Here are a few pics. If there is anyone in the area that likes free beer and food in exchange for wrench time on a GVR4 please let me know. I have a lot of work to do and Im a bit out of my comfort zone doing this much in depth work.

Well thats no good

sonofabitch! I hate rust!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Are the rock auto arms a good replacement?

And then we ran into a few snags and couldnt get the motor out before we lost the light.

desant78

Keep up the good work! I'm no expert but feel free to txt at any time if you have a question and i'll do my best to answer. Shane and Phil were nice to offer that to me during my build and it helped a ton!

If it's a tight fit, try removing the water pump and crank pulley, that extra "inch" just might be enough. Also I removed the trans mount from the trans when I pulled it that way.

Don't give up, it'll def be worth it! I just showed up a SRT4 in the rain, and it made my miserable day great. You'll be glad when your done!

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

atta boy Tyler! i got your picture message the other day. looks like you need to buy a ood set of connecting rods and a front case. then ship all of it up here so we can get started!

CutlassJim

Rockauto doesn't make any parts they just sell them. The cheaper ones are Doorman and are built well but I've had the balljoints go out kind of fast. I sprung the extra $20 for the Reybestos the next time.

Romanova

Looks good man! I wish we lived closer... happily drink your beer and give you a hand! Two Tylers... we would be unfucking stoppable. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jesus_Negros

Nice thing about deployments is the monies if there is no wife there to spend it. Where in Afghanistan will you be? I'm about to go back next month. Good luck.

donkeylips

The car is in Texas now, where is it from originally to have that much rust? I would invest in a new shell. It will make all the work that much more worth it if the car is clean.

ducttapeguy

I bought the car in PA and then took it to Fort Drum in upstate NY for about 3 years. They freaking love salt on post. They lay that crap down thick all the time. Most of the rust is on easily replaceable parts. There isnt too much anywhere else and whats there can be taken care of relatively easily(I hope)

Anyway, update as of April 21, 2013

Finally got the motor pulled today. It wasnt all that hard to do once we had some light and got to look around and see where and how it was getting jammed up. We also pulled the trans and t case off the motor.

I have a lot of cleaning to do in the engine bay. I need to get it all torn apart and wire wheel and scrub everything and then repaint and reinstall the stuff Im keeping. Im also going to try to do a bit of a wire tuck to declutter under the hood. After that its get all my pretty new parts in and get my poly bushings installed. Once I get the front sorted out Ill move on to the rear. Pretty much doing the same thing back there. Im gonna pull the subframe, clean and paint it and replace anything that needs replacing. Its gonna be tedious. But for now, pictures

My buddy Brian. I couldnt have done this without his help

Me, feeling victorious

Needs to be cleaned up

GSX_TC

Awesome.

ducttapeguy

Alrighty. I finally had some free time to do some more work on the G today.I decided to start cleaning up the engine bay.
This is what I started out with

Pretty grimey. I used some random extra strength degreaser from the PX and a stiff bristle brush and scrubbed it pretty well. Then I rinsed it off with a hose and repeated the process a couple more times. After that I got a bucket of water and some dish washing soap and scrubbed the areas I could reach with a sponge a couple of times. This is what I ended up with

Dont worry about the rusty control arms. Those are being replaced with new ones in the next couple of weeks. My biggest concerns right now are taking care of the rust in the engine bay and getting rid of unnecessary crap under the hood. I hate how it just looks like a clusterfuck in there. I have no idea how to go about doing a partial wire tuck and Im still undecided as to wether or not to keep AC and if I want to deal with trying to make my 5 lug swap able to have ABS or if Im just gonna delete it. If I delete it then I will need to source all the parts to make it a non hacked non ABS car. I also need to get rid of all the power steering lines since Im going to a manual rack.

After all that is taken care of then its just a matter of shipping Phil all my motor parts and waiting to get that back and reinstall everything.

If any local guy have some vacation days coming up and feel the urge to wrench on a VR4 with me I could sure use the help. Im pushing myself to new limits everyday I work on this car and I am going to have a hell of a time putting it back together and even finishing taking it apart. Like I said earlier, I will hook you up with all the food you can eat and whatever you want to drink. I can even take you on a super duper awesome fantastical tour of the biggest(personnel wise) Army base. You can look at tanks and helicopters and bake in the sun for a few hours. I might even grab some ammo for my pistol and we can relieve some Mitsu related stress at a range. Basically....help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I forgot to snap more after photos, but I will get more later. I still plan to drop the subframes and take a wire wheel or brush to everything and get everything cleaned up really nice. Then I will repaint the subframes and Im thinking Ill get some belize green spray paint made and respray the whole engine bay. Its slow going due to neighborhood restrictions on leaving a vehicle JSB. But I have decided that I will have the car running by my birthday on August 21 at the latest. Hopefully before that so I can take it to the DSM/EVO shootout in Ohio. We shall see.

On a side note Nate(previous owner) sent me a PM a little while back asking for my address. He said he had something to send me. Well the other day I opened my mail box and saw a letter from Nate. I opened it up and found this

The original window sticker!! Im soooo stoked I have this now. Im probably gonna frame it and put it on my wall. Nate is awesome guy for sendimg me this over 3 years after I bought the car. When I met him and picked up the car he said he had the window sticker stashed away somewhere and that he would send it when he dug it up. I thought it was a lost cause but then out of the blue 3 years down the line it shows up in my mailbox. Absolutely insane. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Tyler

GSX_TC

That was very nice of him to do that, I wish I had my original one for mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well I hope you can have her all fixed up before the shootout (Aug 16-18) that would be awesome. Then we could roll out there together.

ducttapeguy

Well today was better than Christmas. I got this

Just rebuilt and upgraded by FP. It now has a 60-1 compressor wheel stuffed inside. SHould make things pretty fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Im so far beyond stoked right now. Eris is coming together slowly but surely. So far the parts I have gathered are

9.5:1 pistons on shot peened rods
ACL tri metal bearings
3g lifters
crower springs and retainers
1mm oversized valves
cyclone intake manifold
poly bushings all around
fresh rebuild/upgrade for my HKS turbo
manual steering rack
uncut crank
10%taller 5th(but it looks like it ate rocks. Still sorting it out with the seller)

Im sure there are a few more things I have forgotten, but soon I will be shipping stuff to Phil. This weekend I will be attempting to finish up the engine bay so I can start focusing on other parts of the car. There is a lot of surface rust to clean up and take care of. Its going to slow down for a few weeks while I get money saved up for the final push.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts