The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1G FIAV Blockoff Plate question

When the throttle is fully closed, the logger should read ~10%, this is so the car can idle...0%=0%air=no idle!

powerplay

Investigate the wiring and the coolant temp. sensor. Was it removed from the radiator before it was cleaned? Maybe the wiring was damaged during the removal. Check the connections and the wires to make sure they are all good. The ECU is telling you that something isn't right, so start there.

It was removed prior to the cleaning. I checked all the wiring yesterday but maybe I missed something somehow. I'm guessing that would also cause my fan to run all the time as well.

Edit- Wait, I thought the coolant temp sensor was located in the thermostat housing? That didnt get touched, unless it was accidently

Last edited by a moderator:

Turns out the wire on the coolant temp. sensor was completely frayed. Replaced it with a new connector and CE light went away. My fan is still running constantly, and I was logging temps up to 216 while cruising, but my temp gauge in the dash didnt move at all /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif
I'd like to think these are all related, just not sure how

spoulson

Quote:
When the throttle is fully closed, the logger should read ~10%, this is so the car can idle...0%=0%air=no idle!

Actually, 0% will trigger a CEL on TPS failure, but not directly impact idle quality.

Quote:
The fan, if grounded will run continuously

I checked all the connections to the fan again, and everything seems alright. Where else should I be looking? If the sensor that sits in the bottom of the rad were to fail, could it cause this?

Last bump

Is the sensor on the bottom, by the lower rad hose, supposed to have a washer, rubber seal, anything behind it? I'm going crazy here! this is such a stupid problem and I cant figure it out! it worked fine before it came out, and it should work fine now, I mean its 'plug and play'!

Any way to test where its grounding out, and what would cause the fan to run when grounded? (what sensors)

/ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/worthy.gif

VR4coop

Bringing back an old thread. Even though this guy isn't registered anymore i figured I would ans the question. This is happening to me also (fan always running). The smaller sensor closest to the head on the back of the t-stat housing is bad. The tab on it just spins around in the housing causing my fan to stay running.

I have tried to source this sensor with no luck. If anyone has one that would be great.

Thanks
Clint

toybreaker

iconoclast
Clint,

I got that covered.

Pm me a shipping address and I'll try and get that out to you tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned