The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1945 is now mine!

123abc

The intake manifold gasket must have been leaking for a long time because I had to zero almost everything out on the translator to get it to pull without leaning out. Runs good now at 17 psi. Gotta re-wire the fuel pump before I put it back to 24 like it was.

Finally was able to get the car titled and registered. Took all week because the guy who signed it over back in 08 traced over a 6 in the date a few times so they wouldn't accept it. At least its over now, and it's all legal to drive finally. Good thing too, because yesterday I was pulled over for window tint. Told him nope, didn't know it was illegal and I didn't know what it was. He went and got his tester but for whatever reason, it wasn't working or something. He was quiet, went back to the car for a few mins. Came back, handed me my license and told me to have a good night. I laughed the rest of my way home.

123abc

Yay no more semi truck steering wheel:

010312232820.jpg

123abc

Stopped on my way home and took a few pics. Finally washed the Galant yesterday.

010712164101.jpg

010712164138.jpg

010712164042.jpg

Pulled the oil pan today. Figured out I need a new oil pan to stop the oil pan leaks. This one is warped. Still, need a daily driver so I put it back on with some toyota RTV. Still leaks. Also fixed my exhaust from rubbing on the t-case and also added the right lengths to it so the hangers line up on the longer wheelbase galant. And to try and quiet the car down, welded a 3 in. flowmaster chambered muffler at the end.

123abc

.....aaaaand now the Galant's broke. Either the transfer case or the center diff gave up the ghost. The car still moves fine in every gear but theres a horrible gear crunching sound now. I wont know for sure until I get the car in the air. Luckily I was in town near work so I parked it there.

123abc

Put it on the hoist this morning at work before my shift started and pulled the tcase real quick and sure enough, the damn center diff is grinding. So now I'm on the look-out for a cheap replacement trans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

123abc

Picked up a transmission from a friend that was ran dry on fluid. Pulled it all apart for my first time ever tearing apart a DSM trans. Surprisingly, there's only 2 bearings and races that are trashed (on the intermediate shaft assembly), and the center diff doesn't quite feel right to me. Otherwise, nothing else seems to have abnormal play, the syncros look great.

Just some of the metal inside:

011112222351.jpg

Outer bearing has some bad marks, along with it's race:

011112222409.jpg

The inside bearing is pretty bad, explaining the chunks of metal:

011112224726.jpg

The race is just as bad. I'm assuming the black build up is gear oil that was super hot?

011112224656.jpg

I'm going to pull the transmission that's still in my Galant and take that one apart to figure out what happened and if anything is usable. I have my fingers crossed I can make a good transmission out of the two with some left-over parts. I'll have to make more room to take the other one apart:

011112231338.jpg

brisvr4

Wow that did get hot! I think the black melted thing is an oil guide that sits under the intermediate shaft?

123abc

Is it? Can I get some confirmation on that? The vfaq article on rebuilding these never mentioned that.

123abc

Finally pulled the trans out of my Galant and took it apart to see what happened. Pretty much, exactly as I thought....stripped gears. The gear clusters on the bottom are whats going into the trans, above is the ones that were in it:

011512193940.jpg

011512194200.jpg

Just a few of the gear pieces:

011512194238.jpg

My plans have changed slightly after finding a huge crack on the case of the trans I got from my friend. So far, as much as I can tell the trans case out of my Galant is good, so that'll be used. The center diff is being switched as well, due to mine having it's teeth crunched as well. If I can re-assemble correctly this should be a decent transmission with a GVR4 first gears, and bronze syncros. My old syncro's were the brass ones.

Thought I'd take a pic of the transmission rebuild table, in our living room:

011512230308.jpg

Last edited:

123abc

Put the transmission back together friday night. Was up till about 3 am when I finished it. Installed it back in the car saturday morning, and drove it home around 530. So far no leaks, no weird noises. Occasional 2nd and 3rd gear crunch but otherwise it all seems good.

123abc

Well, now that I lost my job, I have much more time to tinker with the Gaylant. Finally mounted the DSM ecu up where it should be in the Galant, ran the release cables for the trunk and the fuel door, also stole the latch off my Talon so now the fuel door is on. I took the stupid lawn mower battery out and put a real one in the trunk with all the stuff from the Talon. Bolted down the battery box, ran the cables. Fixed the non-working reverse lights.

Took a couple pics:

012612113205.jpg

012612113337.jpg

Engine bay is much easier to work in now. Also safer without the battery up there.

123abc

I was bored, so I painted the chrome trim around the 92-93 tail lights to black. I think it looks better than the chrome:

012812102408.jpg

123abc

Yay, more pics.

012912112914.jpg

012912112933.jpg

Went for an 80 mile drive yesterday with a couple friends. Car behaved like it should. Made some mudflaps for it Saturday and they worked well too. I have to trim the rears though, the suspension really settled a lot. Transmission is still holding up. I suppose if it were to break, it would've already. I was surprised it didn't break when I used the Galant to pull the Talon shell onto the trailer yesterday so we could take it to a new spot.

I have the original rearend from this car, been quite awhile. It was barely a shell last time I saw it.

123abc

The car has been through a lot it seems. Do you have the original gas tank too then?

I bought myself a different intercooler from a friend of mine. It's about 28in wide, 10.5in tall, and 3.5in thick garret core. It was off his low 10 second 90 Talon, put down a little over 700 something to the wheels. I was very lucky as I didn't have to cut anything to get it to fit. Only had to drill two holes to mount it.

021812193016.jpg

Only real issue is both the inlet and outlet are 3in in diameter, but the couplers solved that. Put it together, test drove it and it pulled harder than it ever has at 22 psi with that on it. When boost hits, I actually get planted in my seat.

Car looks like it coming along real nice. Sorry to hear about you losing your job, was it from working on the galant at work too much? Anyways like you said now you have more time to work on the galant. I have a feeling from what I have seen of your work on your that you wont be unemployed for too long, best of luck in finding a new job and keep up the good work man inspiring........

123abc

Thanks man, I'm working at my old job that I use to have changing oil and detailing cars full time so I have income again. Just really feels like I took a step backwards in my career but whatever, I'm happy.

Sick of this so called "winter" season, and wasting my snow tires on dry pavement every day so I put the summer wheels on. I like the 18's on the Galant, I'm curious what others think. My guess is the general vote will be too big:

022612152956.jpg

022612153013.jpg

Yes, car is filthy. Now that I'm working back at my old quick-lube car wash job I'm going to wash it really good, wax it, and clean the inside tomorrow after work.

GSX_TC

Good idea painting the tail light trim, i always hated how the 92's had that silver around them. just doesnt look right.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned