The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1517 won't rev HAHA I'm an idiot

Headed out to dinner tonight, it drove fine for a mile or so and then started bucking badly. I kicked it into neutral, and it dropped right to idle. I tried to rev it up, and it revs right to 1500 rpm and then dropped to idle again then started bouncing between idle and 1500. When I took my foot out of it, it idles perfectly. I haven't had the opportunity to look at my datalogger or anything else, I just turned the car around and went back to get my roommates truck. I'm hoping it might be related to my washing the engine yesterday, although I've washed the engine every couple of weeks for the last four years and haven't ever had anything like this happen before. Another thing is that if I start the car it revs normally for the first 4-5 seconds that it is running, then cuts down again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well I'm back from dinner and plugged in the datalogger. It has codes 12, 13, 14, and 25. I'll bet that I got my air filter wet while washing the engine and it finally sucked some water into the maf. The tps code seems like its there because at WOT and only 1500 rpm the ecu is probably thinking it must be getting the wrong signal from the tps. On the datalogger the tps shows a steady increase in percentage as I slowly press the pedal to the floor. I've got another VR4 maf I'll plug and play later.

When washing your engine don't get your air filter wet! I got home from work today and the car revs up just fine.

GVR4_1057

Also the spark plug holes will fill with water and cause all kinds of misfire.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned