The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I'm having a problem with my idle

Mrp0ck3t5

So I just bought my 89 galant and it drove great for about a month and a half then started having issues where it started to jerk while in gear and eventually died I took it to someone they firmly believed my issue was in my batter starter and alternator and being it was an older car I had planned on doing these soon anyway. So I switched out all three and it began to start just fine then the idle dropped drastically and now when I drive if I hit the clutch the idle hits down to almost 100 in most cases it dies and then won't restart without a jump and this is with new battery and everything installed what could be wrong???

prove_it

Check your ground cable

thomcasey

^^^Agreed^^^ Grounds are sorely overlooked on older cars. Make sure they are all in tact, the cables are not stiff and brittle and that they have a clean connection to the Firewall, passenger engine support, battery and transmission to block mount.

Basically, open your hood and look as follows (looking for fairly thick black wires with yellow line):

To your left, there should be a ground wire going from transmission to a flat spot under the fuse box,
To your right, one wire going from the Silver intake behind the head to the firewall
To your left, a couple going from the wiring harness to the firewall (near the windshield wiper motor)
In the center, one going from where the transmission is bolted to the engine, to the battery terminal.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts