The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil pan bolt question

Diego

Bought an oil pan from a local on thisn board. Nice pan, but I leak oil from the drain bolt... yes, its tight.

So any fixes.

Diego

The epic frustration of just putting fresh oil in just to drain and RTV.... but if I must I have to do it.

SmoothCustomer

I would make sure you let it cure pretty much completely before you put new oil in or it will get into the oil. If dry stuff gets into the oil the stainer seems to take care of it but still. And you shouldn't take my advice without others chiming in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Barnes

Quoting SmoothCustomer:
^^A new gasket as in a new washer for that bolt? I would just rtv that bolt pretty good and or get a new one.

Washer, gasket, whatever the heck it is called. We are talking about the drain bolt right??

SouthCaliVR4

Ideally, yes. Realistically, when it gets distorted looking after a couple oil changes it's kinda done. The brass ones last longer than the aluminum, maybe a few more oil changes.

mitsuturbo

You can buy them by the BOX! Yes, they're VERY cheap.

I believe they're the same as a spark plug crushwasher as well.

SouthCaliVR4

^^agreed but... He's talking the oil pan drain plug not the turbo return. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
Quoting SmoothCustomer:
So you're saying I need to replace the crush washer every time I do an oil change or it will leak? No.

Yes.

Quoting SouthCaliVR4:
^^agreed but... He's talking the oil pan drain plug not the turbo return. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ooops I missed that, thanks. Yes replace the copper washer after every drain. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

G

Staff member
Not the copper, the crush washer.

Diego

Damn..... I've never seen one of those on any dsm/vr4 I have owned/worked on....

Whilst I was a small wrench mechanic I noticed some had a plastic washer.... but I haven't noticed one on ours.... ill go find one and buy one.

Thanks Wopper

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned