The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oil pan bolt question

Barnes

First few times I bought an OEM full engine rebuild gasket kit I could never figure out what that crush washer was for. Probably because I never replace them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Quoting G:
Not the copper, the crush washer.

Copper is soft, no?

I have not seen one of those silver crush types in ages (except on spark plugs), mostly copper washers like you find on the oil supply line at the head.

I use copper washers on the case and pan when I change oil on my yfz and have never had leaks.

SouthCaliVR4

Just to take this in depth discussion to the next more insane level /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif I prefer the copper over the aluminum due to it malleability. It conforms better & seals without so much as seepage, I brake clean after I drop the oil. Aluminum always wet around the plug(at the next change), copper always dry. Of course I haven't used the spark plug variety either the ones I get are solid & it just feels like you'd be stripping the plug some time down the road from the constant reefing to get a perfect seal on the alum. ones. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I'll have to try the spark plug type & see how it works.

turbowop

The spark plug style ones I have are OEM. They never leak. I think the last batch I got was a bag of ten from the local Mitsu dealer.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Some manufacturers use copper versions, like Nissan. Mitsu ones are not copper, but work great. I keep many on hand. Don't change them everytime, but regularly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned