The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Progress on 629 **Wrapping this thread up with pics!**

SleepinGVR4

Finally got to do some work on the cars.

After 992 got hit, it was on life support. So I had to pull its heart out.

Before it got hit, it was still bleeding pretty bad.

Oh I also striped the interior out of 629.

Anyone know how to get this crap off the wheels?

Last edited:

Kudos to you for the progress! Why'd you strip out 629, if you don't mind my asking? As for removing wheel crud, you can try degreaser, or wheel cleanser and some stiff brushes, and if that doesn't work maybe take them in for some sandblasting.

spartan

That looks like the clearcoat on that wheel has oxidized. I would say the only way you are going to get that off is to sand it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
+1, or stripper.

jepherz

Staff member
Stainless steel wool sometimes removes it and leaves a decent finish underneath. That's an option to try.

464/2K

spray some pb blaster or wd40. Your going to need to pull the wheel and push it off.

I had to do that with mine i used pb blaster and that worked just fine! Good luck with everything!

mean_green

Anyone know how to get this crap off the wheels?

There once was a thread about peanut butter cleaning rims amazingly on a Honda Forum!! Sounds crazy but thats what some of the dealers who sell 30 year old JDM wheels do to clean up the built on grime.

Might try googling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Alan

curtis

Pull the tires and just blast them. You can buy a sandblaster cheap as long as you have an air compressor you good to go. Wear a full face sheild and just use what ever you can get to cover your arms and everywhere else, harbor fright sells glass beads for like 20 bucks for 2.5 gallons, since you don't have a cabinet you'll waste alot so just get baking soda from a pool store or the pool section at walmart. I've also heard of people using sugar, or powdered sugar, salt, etc. Glass leaves a nice uniform color and texture but does cut the metal and leaves little dimples where sand leaves little cuts and scratches, you want something to cut and then go back over to smooth unless your thinking of powdercoating then just pull the tires and have them done. The local price here is about 50 a wheel to clean up and recoat. When you figure the amount of work, paint, clear, materials 200 a set is about the price you'll have in it. Thats almost what all the stuff for my bronze wheels cost and took 3 long days.

IncorpoRatedX

muriatic acid eats aluminum corrosion. I've done it a few times.

GVR4ZUM

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Engine is looking good Sean.
Kudos to both of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gifHill, you're just awesome for being there again helping out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

1941Galant

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
Made some serious progress on 629.

HUGE, thanks to Hill (1941Galant) for all the help.

No problem Sean, I don't mind helping you out when I have the time. I'm just glad the car went together easily.

Nice clutch! Clutch NET ftw! forget that act crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Nice build hope you have her running soon.

BoostedAWD91

Definalty looking good, it definatly came together quite nicely. cant wait till its running

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned