The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bilstein HDs

GSTwithPSI

The custom work you did on the front dampers was sweet. Did you use the Hyperco springs on the front and back? What were the rates?

And here's his build: click

Last edited:

slugsgomoo

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
That was a good read. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure if I would ever compare NASCAR to F1 though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

My issue is that unless these are valved specifically for the VR4, they probably leave a lot to be desired compared to even some of the "cheaper" coilover setups. Sure, I'm sure they are really nice dampers, but unless they are set up specifically for the car, you aren't going to use them to their full potential, especially since they aren't adjustable. You'd need somebody like Mueller to do the leg work and figure out the optimal valving, and then find someone to actually modify the dampers. My point being, these would need to be properly valved to really be an improvement over even a decent to cheap adjustable damper.

If you're talking about cheap japanese single adjustable coilovers, you're likely better off with some evo bilsteins, mostly because the adjusters are f***ing worthless... "more rebound? Let's add more compression too!" Not going to lie, there are reasons for cheap coilovers, and some of the brands (i.e. BC) seem to hit a price point while delivering decent performance. None of them are going to be on the level of Ohlins/Penske, but they're 25-35% of the cost, so it makes sense.

One interesting thing about NASCAR, is that while the racing may not be my cup of tea, the fact that the platform changes so little, and the fact that they keep getting faster is similar to how a stupid design like the 911 (rear engine is inherently inferior to mid engine) has gotten so good over time. Having to perfect every aspect of the car to get the performance out is a different challenge than dealing with new engine, chassis & aero requirements every few years.

tektic

Check out this spring claculator!
click
Front and rear motion ratios were listed as .92/.844 on tooners
springArmDimensions.jpg

a=d1 b=d2

This is what I came up with:

weight: 3500
front weight: 58%
unsprung front: 80lb
unsprong rear: 80lb
SF Front: 1.8hz
SF Back: 2.0hz
Spring angle: 5%
Front MR: .98
Rear MR: .844
acf: 1
Front corner sprung: 935lbs
Rear corner weight:: 655lbs
Front WR: 309 lb/in
Rear WR: 267 lb/in
Front SR: 323 lb/in
Rear SR: 377 lb/in

Last edited:

tektic

Part Number: 24-012614
Old Part Number: F4-B46-1261-H0

Looks like rear only for what ever reason.

Edit: I got a part number for the front ! BILSTEIN 34-050392

I just cant find a site selling it that's written in English?

Last edited:

cheekychimp

What does the "IV" refer to? I hope they just got the numerals the wrong way round since the other details 'seem' accurate. If you get any confirmation on this please post up. I really don't have the fabrication skills to attempt something on this level myself, but I'd like to build some front struts/coilovers with narrower coilover springs to give me room for the camber adjustment I need up front.

tektic

I haven't been able to find anything in north America. Only thing I found in English was from the UK. They wanted 300 each per strut. I would assume they would have to be special order for anything in the USA. I'm still considering the inserts because they are like $160 a side. Bummed because 6 months ago they were listing for just over $100.

I'm pretty sure they will fit inside our strut as is and if not I think they could be widened with a cylinder hone. The difference at most is like 2 tenths of a mm.

Last edited:

idreamidrive

If you want really cheap...
Autozone $189.99
Autozone is doing 20% with ship at home with coupon code save20

If you want to go super cheap...
click
buy a couple discounted gift cards and save like another 19%

Total savings ~39% = ~$150

idreamidrive

Quoting idreamidrive:
I have a Bilstein dealer in the US looking for 34-050392 right now.

Got a voicemail from my Bilstein dealer, they got a hold of Bilstein corporate and they are discountinued, but they might have the parts to do a custom order (valving to our liking). Like I said it was a voicemail and I just got it so I have no idea what the price would be.

Are we positive that 34-050392 will fit in our sleeves?

tektic

Just ordered a set of inserts on sale from ajusa.com for $138 each w/free shipping.

tektic

I just got these and nothing is even close to fitting. They don't fit in the old cut housings and the top bolt is 14mm but just under the threaded section is 15mm I cant find misalignment bushings to fit this. This seems to have been a humungous waste of time. I'm going to return them and get BC's This piecemeal sh*t is not worth it. I just don't have the arsenal of tools to execute this properly.

Although I am still tempted : click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned