The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Building long block soon. Hows this look?

cupajoe

Little background: (I'll keep it short) Balance shaft snapped and skipped timing a few months back. And lost all motivation for the car, so parked it in the garage and it sat for a few months. Now I'm about to pull the motor out so I can eliminate the balance shaft and rebuild the head. Then I figured well hell if I'm already going to have the motor out why not build it now so I don't have to pull it again when I max out the stock block? So this is where I'm at.

Budget: $4500

Power goals: 480-500whp reliably.

Rev limit: 7750-8k

Cars use: Daily driver, but may end being a weekend warrior later this year.

HEAD:
-Hot tanked
-Decked
-OEM 6T valves
-BC1100 springs w/ stock retainers
-DKS 272 cams

BLOCK:
-Hot tanked
-Bore and hone .20 over
-Check deck and resurface
-Polish crank?
-Balance rotating assembly

-Wiseco 8.3:1 .20 over pistons
-Eagle rods
-Clevite bearings
-OEM MLS or composite head gasket?
-BSE kit
-OEM oil pump
-OEM gasket/seals throughout

DRIVETRAIN:
-4 bolt rear
-Lighten flywheel ACT?
-Clutch
This part sucks, I just bought a DFCD clutch and only have maybe 2k miles on it. Anyone know if I can just replace the disk with a southbend TZ street disc? Or even a 6 puck?

MISC:
-Evo exhaust manifold
-Cyclone IM
-Might upgrade to V3 link

Now this isn't my only car and might end up just being a weekend warrior. But would like to be able to daily it if I want.

Am I missing anything?

mitsuturbo

Yeah. Missing a lot, actually.

What about the fuel system? Lines, pump, injectors, filter, regulator? What are you going to run to manage it? Do you already have a wideband?

What about intercooling?

What turbo are you going to run that you expect to get reliable 500awhp out of? Wastegate? BOV?

What kind of transmission do you have that is going to take that sort of power/abuse? Hopefully not some 20 year old stocker... same goes for the suspension.

I strongly suggest upgrading to V3 of ecmlink.

JNR

Kind of hard to tell if you're looking strictly for a long block, or the rest of the items that would go with it (i.e. turbo, intake, exhaust, fuel, etc.) to attain your goals?

TomN

I would go with 9:1 compression.

cupajoe

Just asking for long block idea's. Check my car profile for mods.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned