The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Brake mod

manikbastrd

Hey guys I was hoping the experts here could help me out. I was interested in doing a 3000/stealth front caliper swap, but don't know if it bolts right on or not, I know for dsm's it's a bolt on mod, but is that true for us? If not, what's a good brake mod aside from braided lines and goo pads/rotors? Any help is greatly appreciated since I couldn't find anything useful in the search feature.
Thanks
manik

mooserage

Staff member
To answer your question first: you need to buy the bracket adapters from someone or somewhere such as: click

Secondly when searching you should use "+" symbols before every word if you aren't already doing so. I just search "+3000gt +Brake" with the how-to and info archive section selected and got this page: click

Good luck with the brakes, it looks like a really nice mod. And I hope this helps.
-shamus

cheekychimp

The 3KGT calipers bolt directly onto a DSM?

Are you sure? If so I would like to see a photo. I am struggling to think now exactly where the ears for the calipers are and if changing to 5 lug DSM hubs up front would allow this?

Edit: I just looked at the caliper brackets above and it notes they are for DSMs as well as VR4s so I am sure the 3KGT calipers cannot just be bolted onto a DSM which was what I originally thought. Were you perhaps asking if these could be fitted without any additional changes in brake lines, booster etc? If that is the case you might find using the 3KGT brake booster beneficial. It requires minimal modifications and offers a good pedal feel.

Last edited:

toybreaker

iconoclast
The front calipers that came stock on the 3ooogt (base model) are basically the same two piston set-up we got on our Galant vr4's, so they bolt right up. I seem to recall the brake hoses being different, but that may have been the diamante, which also shares the same basic caliper

It was the twin turbo 3ooogt vr4 got the cool guy four piston set-up. It's worth noting that there was an early and a late set-up for the 3000gt vr4's, and the rotor sizes are different, so buyer beware. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope that helps clear up some of the confusion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cheekychimp

Damn John,

Is there anything you do NOT know about these cars? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif ... and yes that does clear up the confusion. I still owe you a call. Still talking to that bearing whisperer?

broxma

The 2nd gen 3000GT/Stealth TT 4 piston calipers have a different offset to the rotor at the very least, when bolting it onto the GVR4.
If you put 1st Gen 3000GT/Stealth TT calipers on the GVR4 with the aforementioned brackets, you use the 2nd gen 3000GT rotors however. Do not ask me why. I have this on good authority.
To find if you have 1st or 2nd gen 3000GT/Stealth TT calipers, measure from the mounting hole center to the middle of the next bolt down. It will be 2.5 inches on the 1st gen.

15hetkz.jpg

3000GT 1st gen 4 piston caliper

2hn8apf.jpg

Dodge Stealth TT 4 piston caliper

I showed both but there is no difference between the two other than...

2j67kvr.jpg

...this one says Mitsubishi and that one doesn't.

/brox

All the replies posted are all correct. Check out the 'How-To' link posted by Shamus. It will guide you step-by-step. If you have any further questions, I'll be glad to help out.

BrandonEchols

So then do we need the early or the late calipers in order to use the tunersnation brackets? When was the cutoff for the new/old styles?

Quoting brandonechols:
So then do we need the early or the late calipers in order to use the tunersnation brackets? When was the cutoff for the new/old styles?

You need the 1g 3kgt vr4 or Stealth TT calipers (early model).

BrandonEchols

Are they only on the 90-93 models? or did the caliper change not follow the 1g to 2g shift?

Once more,
You need the calipers from the 1st gen 3kgt vr4 90-93. The calipers from the later model 3kgt vr4 will bolt up to the brackets but you will need a larger rotor to make them work. I never bothered to source a larger rotor as it creates more wheel clearance issues. The reason is, the mounting ears on the later model are longer than the ones on the earlier models. So once again, you MUST use the calipers from the 90-93 3kgt vr4.

How do I tell if I have the right calipers? Simple, the post above that shows the measurement from the center of the bolt to the center of the mounting hole MUST be 2.5". If it's larger (~3") then you have the calipers from the later model 3kgt vr4 94-99.

524of1000

You need to buy the ones Brox has on his for sale page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned