The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What suspension???

jasonvr4

Hi guys,
Just wondering what sort of system are you all running in your cars??

I really cannot decide what to fit mine out with??
1. KYB AGX adjustables?
2. KSPORT coilovers
3. BG coilovers
4. D2 coilovers-- I hear there cheap sh*t??

or any others that you guys can tell me about

Please give me some feedback -- need to make a decision

Thanks
Jasonvr4
Sydney Australia

Last edited:

Muskrat

What are your goals for the car? What kinda of performance are you looking for?

A generally good street setup is KYB GR-2's and Eibach springs.

AGX's get mixed reviews. Some people don't like them on the street, even on the softest setting, others don't minds them.

chucklesas

Quote:
In response to
Poster: jepherz
Subject: Re: What suspension???

Hotbits are where it's at.

Who's selling Hotbits parts these days? Is Larry still around?

iLLeffeKt vr-4

What is your budget and what will the car be used for? Daily driver? Weekend warrior? Mixed?

If I were to do it again here's what I would go with.

*Strictly daily driver: stock springs with upgraded/new shocks (kyb gr'2, etc) anything that's not adjustable.

*Daily driver that occasionally sees the autox/road race/drag strip the EVO springs/shocks will do the trick. I think the MR suspension comes with better shocks/struts so I would go with that if possible.

*For a car that is being auto-xed, road raced often or if you drive really aggressively on the street then go with a true coilover setup such as HotBits.

Even though I only autoxed my galant only once and it never saw the drag strip I still loved my HotBits race setup. Paired with a set of 17x8 rims and fairly wide tires, 245/40-17's it handled pretty good. I actually embarrassed my friend with an 06 STI quite a few times.

Struc

FWIW, not sure where they fall into everyone's opinion, but I saw a pretty decent deal on some H&R springs on Flea-Bay earlier today. About $240 shipped.

click

Larry Parker

Hotbits for sure...

call me if you have questions about them....

boostedinaz

If you are leaning towards the EVO suspension I have a set already modified to fit an GVR4 that I would sell for 200.00. They have less than 5K on them.

curtis

I'll add something to this. I have the evo stuff and loved it while the car wasn't on JS duty but kenny got me going a few weeks ago and energysuspensionparts.com offers the complete master kit for 223 shipped to the door which includes all 4 engine mounts. Little things like this makes a huge difference what talking about almost 20 year old bushings. Kit has everything except the front cross bar that Kenny found out the the front subframe bushings can be used in, carrier bearing mounts and the rear subframe and mustache brace that John addressed last year with the group buy. When I finally start back on the car I'll do a big write up on the bushing replacement.

cheekychimp

If you are looking at options, another member discovered that BC Racing do a Galant specific setup for the 88-92 VR4.

Link to BC Racing.

They unfortunately don't do their ER (external reservoir) Series in a Galant specific model but I emailed them about it and they seemed confident they could do it and prices are really reasonable for good quality stuff.

I'm interested to see how an ER setup would compare with the Pro Rally setup Larry was talking about Hotbits developing with the larger diameter dampers.

Also I don't want to get into a spring and damping/compression rate discussion because I'll get out of my depth and someone like Larry or Dialcaliper will make me look an idiot but you also need to decide what you are using the car for. If you go for a budget setup you are generally stuck with whatever damping and spring rates the factory decided was best. In my opinion most factory suspension is pretty good for DD duty because it is designed to be used in as wide a variety of conditions as possible. So the EVO setups seem to work very well. It's really when you start leaning towards one end of that compromise that you'll find you want something designed more for what you want. Harder for tarmac softer for gravel/mud etc.

Last edited:

Quoting curtis:
I'll add something to this. I have the evo stuff and loved it while the car wasn't on JS duty but kenny got me going a few weeks ago and energysuspensionparts.com offers the complete master kit for 223 shipped to the door which includes all 4 engine mounts. Little things like this makes a huge difference what talking about almost 20 year old bushings. Kit has everything except the front cross bar that Kenny found out the the front subframe bushings can be used in, carrier bearing mounts and the rear subframe and mustache brace that John addressed last year with the group buy. When I finally start back on the car I'll do a big write up on the bushing replacement.

+1. Bushings make a huge difference. As far as suspension goes, I found the GR-2's w/ H&R's to be a good combo for the street.

91GVR4

+10,000 for Hotbits, I've been running them from the very first group buy and they rock. With new bushings, very large sway bars, and good brakes the car now handles very nice and is solid in the corners.

I got one too

+2 for all poly bushings with Evo setup. I think it's at the limit of what I would call streetable. It's plenty stiff and sometimes when I hit a nice bump on the freeway, my stomach ends up in my throat! My brother's drift car with some expensive jdm coil-overs is just brain rattling. So I can only image you guys with crazy coil-overs!

It all depends on your goal. I'd love to have the Hotbits, but decided just to go with the Evo setup since I've never hit a road course before. Although I'm planning on it, I'm sure the Evo setup is plenty enough for me. I would suggest Evo, poly bushings, rear sway bar, 4ws delete, rear active toe elim and possibly new end links. I think it's a better bang for the buck!

When I compare 1649, which has all the above except sway bar and new end links, to 1292, which only has GR2 and Whiteline springs...it's night and day!

kaptainballistik

If you can get a second hand set of DMS's from a rallycar...... And dont discount a set of Bilsteins. They are not that expensive.

Im running Proflex front and DMS rear. Not exactly cheap... And some Group N bushes in the suspension. (I dont like your chances of finding the bushes anymore!) Ive always found that Urethane bushes dont have the same service life as the STD bushes. It may be a rallycar but its a nice cumfy ride.

For the ammount the front shocks are worth it better damm well be!

Then again im the kind of twisted individual that doesnt mind a car thats full of spherical bearings....

Ive also got all the subframe bushes changed for Aluminium ones. Something I think people overlook. Does make the NHV go out the window however.

Last edited:

CP

Only thing I didn't like about the Hotbits is how the shock bodies fared against salty winter roads, though no coilovers do well in a winter environment. However Larry was GREAT to work with when I initially set up the car. We tried several different spring combinations until I got the one that was very good for road racing. I'd highly recommend a Hotbits setup for those of you that can afford a good suspension made for your car.

jasonvr4

I want a set up ready for some serious street performance and occasionally quater mile - weekend race track...

I would love to purchase a set of HOTBITS coil overs!!!
Do they sell them in the USA for the Galant VR4???

Are KYB AGX a good set of shocks???????????????

This info would be greatly appreciated !! at least then i know i can order the eclipse and know when i get it i can throw it straight on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Jasonvr4
Sydney Australia

Last edited:

turbowop

Tein doesn't make a GVR4 specific coilover anymore. They make the cheaper units for the DSM's, which work for our cars but they're a bit shorter and the front camber plates need to be changed out.

If you want something stellar, get a set of Hotbits. Want something cheaper? Find a set of D2/Ksport coilovers. Even cheaper? Do some KYB AGX with ground control coilover sleeves.

Eclipse/Talon stuff mounts the same, but the camber plate up front is rotated 90degrees. That will need to be changed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned