The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Suspension upgrades by cost

mk2davis

I'm looking at options to upgrade the suspension on my street boxcar. It will likely not see the track, and if it does it's just for sheets and giggles. Options for the stock setup are thin with either KYB or KYB, cheap coilovers, or expensive coilovers.

I've gone to the KYB route (AGX), and I am left wanting. Cheap coilovers aren't of interest, and expensive ones are EXPENSIVE.

I've been looking at the stock Evo 8 upgrade for $200-500 based on how you address the rear lowers and what you find on Ebay.

Evo 8 coilovers start at $1k for Tein's and go up. But I don't mind the stock height, and from I've read all coilovers lower the car. And most coilovers suck for the street unless you go KW V3 ($3k+/-) or there was another at $4kish cant recall the name.

Am I missing any options? I think the best option may be Evo 8 Bilstein shocks and struts with stock springs. Still $1200 all in, but hopefully a nice sporty ride.

GSTwithPSI

For a few hundred more you can get a lower end coil over that's pretty decent:

Last edited:

diambo4life

I have D2s on mine. They're very compliant for the street. No complaints. I do have a set of 600lb QA1 springs and AGXs that I swap in for heavy acceleration fun times as my car is heavy and high'ish HP.

4Grim

When i worked for Titan Motorsports I got cool with a few of the BC Racing guys since their headquarters are here in Orlando. They made me a 1 off version of their top of the line ZR series coilovers with custom spring springs for my GVR4. I haven't installed them yet, but I am aiming to finally install them in a few months.

BC racing coilovers are pretty damn good with my personal experience with them and when I sold them to my customers when i worked for Titan.

mk2davis

Whats the ride and ride height like with these? I am not looking to build a race car, and in my limited experience "race" coilovers are not the ride I'm looking for. Think Aston Martin DB7. Fast, sure. But I want to give up 0.1's for comfort.

4Grim

Comfort is almost relative to the individual. The "stock" BC springs are equivalent to adding lowering springs in a sense...slightly stiffer with increased handling characteristics. I sold a fair amount when I worked for Titan and I do have a set on my other car and they ride pretty well. Adjusting the dampening will be the key though and that is something I am not well versed at yet but will definitely learn once I install them and actually drive the car.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned