The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

who wants fender flares?

IncorpoRatedX

Currently the montero has one cherokee spring that i cut a little off of and slid in there. Overall with the front torsions cranked and the rear spring added, i'd say i gained a little over an inch of lift. Pretty weak i know but also amazing how much tire you can stuff under this thing. Wish the trans and xfr case was easier to swap with something else tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

curtis

Quote:
Ive already claimedem =)

need soemthing to use for my fat ass rims..

We need a how to page with pictures

icurunnin

Quote:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Right now, getting rid of dead weight and annoying junk - soon, 10:1 engine and Dana 44 front and rear. adios IFS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dana 44 rear? The montero rear is stronger, is a third member, and has disk (depending on model) brakes stock. I wanted a 95 SR for the longest with the factory rear locker but bought a FZJ80 (Landcruiser) with e-lockers front and rear factory.

curtis

Checked the front flare on a 94 montero today at the junkyard. No worky...To long across the top but the side panels on the doors look kind of like the VR4 so I thought I would try. They might be able to be cut to work but it would take some doing. These were scratched up so I left them.

Here's what they look like
click here for picture

JNR

What do the Montero rearends use? Stronger than a D44 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif...must be pretty stout. I do like 3rd member diffs though (Ford, Toyota) for gear swaps and such, without having to mess with the shop and lugging the whole thing around (say you buy the member already setup).

btw, Grand Cherokee 5.9 (1998 only) came with rear discs and D44, although people complained about the aluminum centersection (I never had any issues, so could just be the lemmings' effect on the 'net)...Also, Explorers came with Ford 8.8 and discs, which are pretty stout, fwiw.

Does the Montero use leafs or coils/4-link style? [edit, looking at the above pics, looks like leaf] So, GC is probably out, and the Cherokee only came with D35, IIRC...If the Montero unit is cloase or better than a 44, why bother with a swap at that point...The front, yeah, nothing like Solid axle, so you can do a 'real' pose with the front /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

Well seeing how this turned into a Montero page here is mine.

IncorpoRatedX

Quote:
Checked the front flare on a 94 montero today at the junkyard. No worky...To long across the top but the side panels on the doors look kind of like the VR4 so I thought I would try. They might be able to be cut to work but it would take some doing. These were scratched up so I left them.

Here's what they look like
click here for picture

Wrong Montero Chap...
I have a Montero SPORT, the SPORT being the difference. I would very much imagine the full size montero wouldnt work.

Any while we're talking about D44 vs the Mitsu rear axle - Yes, the mitsu one is a very nice axle but the lack of availability for gearing (i need in the 5.XX range) makes it need to GTFO of my truck. I'll deal with the SLIGHTLY weaker D44 with a locker over my mitsu axle with a WELDED diff.

I appreciate the 'heads up' so to speak but i've been researching what im going to do for quite some time. I'll post pictures once it's done.. preferably of it picking the front end up over some rocks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And Doug! i've got skid plates man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'll be building a new front bumper with winch mount and fair lead soon though.

icurunnin

If you want a dana 44 with disc brakes then looke into a 97+ isuzu rodeo. It too is leaf sprung but I am 99% sure that you would have to weld new perches on regardless. The D44 with the aluminum center section actually came in a lot of 96+ G.C. but the center section is weak. Also might want to look at the 93-96 Isuzu trooper rear ends. They came factory with 4.56 gears, disc brakes, third member, and a R&P and axles larger than a D44. The 8.8 is a good rear end but you have to weld the tubes to the diff to keep them from spinning under hard use and they are on the narrow side. They make 5.38's for the trooper rear end and a arb air locker if that helps.
As you can see I have a bit of a passion for wheelin. It gets expensive real quick though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Haha, thanks for the input. I'm building this thing on the cheap though. If i come across a disc rear end i'll snag it but for now i'll just do a conversion on the waggy axle.

icurunnin

FWIW the rodeo would be cheaper to build cause you can get them dirt cheap. It is also 6 lug with the same bolt pattern as what you have. Good luck on the build up.

IncorpoRatedX

HAH! it's not a mitsu though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Brianawd

You could swap in 8in or 9in mitsu rear end and get 5.29s.There is also a 9.5in mitsu rear end that you can get 4.90s for. You can also get xcase gears.

IncorpoRatedX

Yeah i've found the tcase gears.. As for the mitsu gears, its hard to find aftermarket gears that match mitsu's weird ratio's. im just trying to simplify things. If i find the 44 not meeting my standards i'll just go with a ford 9 incher.

Wilfongtsi

So who got the flares? My folks live in Niles and I can pick up if they are still available?

IncorpoRatedX

Mark wants them... I know for sure he'll do something good with them. Do you do body work or anything of that sort? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Wilfongtsi

I do some body work, but I've got a buddy that loves to fiberglass and I know with his help they will get put on. This is the look I'm trying to reach:

I found these pics on here a while back.

IncorpoRatedX

Back from the dead, I think i still have these flares... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Also thought i'd update you guys a little on my montero.

Very interesting technical information:
The mitsubishi Montero uses an Aisan Warner transmission, which is the same transmission used in all of the jeep cherokee's, the AW4 box has a bolt on bell housing that makes it work in many cars (even used in the toyota supra) and a bolt on output shaft housing that makes it compatible to many different things.

which means, the older monteros (pre 97)can accept any jeep output shaft housing and jeep New Process 231 transfercase (23 spline) which means slip yoke eliminators and gears are easily available.

The newer monteros (97+) can also accept the 231 case but require a 98+ jeep output shaft housing since the 97+ mitsu and 98+ jeep AW4's use a speed sensor in the output shaft housing for trans shifting.

This means things got a whole lot simpler while working on my montero.

being a broke ass college student has made this truck slowly go...well, no where. I have to finish it before snow flies too much though. 6 months into the project and this is how it looks:

100_6549.jpg

I got some of these for the lower control arms /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and brackets from ruffstuff specialties, still need steering sh*t and other things here and there.
flexjoint3.jpg

Wound up going with a Dana 44 high pinion front axle and ford 9 inch rear axle.

here's some pictures of the transmission and t-case comparison stuff

mitsushitty transfercase, otherwise known as the gigantic useless piece of sh*t.

img00151.jpg

Trans still in the truck without the tail housing on it. Anyone into jeeps would recognize this transmission.

img00152.jpg

jeep on the left, mitsu on the right, mitsu is freaking over kill

img00153.jpg

jeep on the left again, gee, they look similar.

img00160.jpg

5 of the 7 bolts for the tail shaft housing require the tcase to be removed to get to them on the mitsu hosuing, on the jeep housing they're all external

img00154.jpg

backside of jeep one

img00155.jpg

G

Staff member
What about the flares?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned