The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Whineboro fuel pump

bradrs

Quoting coyotes:
Seems like Walboro is a bad investment in general.

It has been a while since I looked at the different pumps, but Walbro used to be nice because it delivered a lot of fuel for the amperage draw. The Supra TT pump is great and I used it myself in my 2G, just as quiet as OEM. But the Supra pump draws a lot of current compared to the Walbro or stock, and the more current you draw, the more voltage is going to be lost in the stock wiring. I haven't looked into the newer pumps too much, so I can't comment on them. But definitely keep in mind amperage if you are trying to compare them.

prove_it

I went with Deatschwerks for the E85 compatibility.

89Patches

Quoting turbowop:
Quoting 89Patches:
I use a TT Supra pump. Can't even hear it and probably the most reliable pump you can get.

Only time I've ever been stranded by a GVR4 was when the Supra pump died in 503. By a f***ing Toyota part. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Haha really! I have yet to have one fail. I used to put 255's in all the MR2's I worked on, too many people came back with pump failures so I started using Supra pumps.
Needless to say probably close to 100 cars later and not one has come back.......Yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BpuVR4

curious if a lot of these failures are from people keeping their fuel levels super low all the time, and if that's a real thing or not. was always tempted to keep a fresh pump in the trunk in case i get stranded due to a dead pump.

Last edited:

turbowop

I kept my tank pretty full most of the time since I was driving an hour to the ski area three times a week during the winter.

transparentdsm

yeah i always fill up at 1/2 a tank unless im taking a 350+ mile trip and want to empty the tank to see what kind of MPG i can get.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
For anyone that had a Walbro failure or Supra pump failure, were the pumps rewired/relayed, a with thicker gauge?

Kinda wondering if a Supra pump on thinner wiring can be likened to operating high amp draw tools on thin gauge electrical cord, for a lengthy period of time.

Eventual failure due to heat and current restriction being the inevitable cause, or just a faulty part issue.

turbowop

503 had a full rewire/relay setup, and the pump still died.

I've never rewired 1051. I still run a Walbro 255HP that's been in the car since '03.

prove_it

Like I said, I failed 3 walbros now. Rewired, fused, and set-up perfectly in tank. First 2 died on pump gas, 3rd died on ethanol. Never ran fuel levels below 1/4 tank.

All three failed the same too. I could tap them with a hammer and they would run. The commutator on the motor itself would get a bad spot and cause it to stop. Once hit it would move to a good spot and run. I kept one and use it as a transfer pump for moving fluids.

Cheap pump, what can you say.

BpuVR4

did you take the pump out of tank to tap, or tap the top of the sending unit? might be a good last resort if it pukes out while on the road.

prove_it

I found when pulling the sender out with the ecmlink command on, that when I pulled it out the pump started up. GM pumps do the same thing. It will stall then kicking the tank will start it. These all did the same thing. They all work now on the bench, but in the car they will stall. Could be repaired, but I'm sick of them. Hopefully the DW301 will last longer. 3yr warranty anyway.

1307nv

I've had the tank at all levels and I just pulled it out again this past weekend, drove around and the weather was pretty warm and humid and the pump was alot quiter. What I did was trim down the rubber hose just enough so the pump was not binding with the mount and so far its quiet. Im also gonna rewire it so well see. In a couple of weeks I will do a longer drive to see if I figured it out or not.

prove_it

Quoting bradrs:
How are you powering them on the bench? How much voltage drop do you see, vs what is in the car?

With a battery..... Never bothered with a drop test. It doesn't run, then runs when hit. What else is there to say? It's a bad spot on the commutator.

mitsuturbo

Quoting coyotes:
Seems like Walboro is a bad investment in general.

I certainly wouldn't buy anything branded as "Walboro". That's probably a chinese knock off brand of "Walbro".

prove_it

Is that your favorite pair?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned