The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What's an alternator going bad sound like?

when you look at it it should be running true, if it's got a wobble it will be obvious. look for lateral, side to side shaking, a timing light will work just as well, if not better, than a flashlight. since with the timing light the pully won't look like it's moving other then any side movement.

CP

Recorded a few clips of my "noise." You can hear it at 5/6 seconds into the first clip, and 4 seconds into the second clip.

Clip 1
Clip 2

brisvr4

Sounds exactly the same as mine did.
I vote starter motor.

CP

I vote: drive it off a cliff into an icy bottomless lake /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/mad.gif

brisvr4

At least as long as it is the starter motor you have nothing to worry about.
Just get another one when you can.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Just roll start it, and see if it makes the noise. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

(Hill, second gear, pop the clutch.)

Noise gone, starter bad.

Noise not gone,...well...further investigation will be required.

ApexHunter

so hopefully not everyone is sick of this thread and someone will still look at it. since i didn't even start it i'm glad to be able to have gained what i could thus far. i just checked out the harmonic balancer and it seems to spin true. great! but what is making the "rocks in a blender" noise? is the starter on the passenger side of the block or the driver's side? i would assume passenger side, but being the noob that i am i'd better ask. if it is on the pass. side then i don't think the starter is the source of the problem as all the noise seems to be coming from the driver's side. so i took some video. the best way i can describe the noise is small rocks in a blender on low speed. kind of a gritty, gnashy, inconsistent and very ugly noise. CP had a pretty good description too. its hard to pick out the noise though, because now there is a NEW noise, which also doesn't sound good. *sigh*. video 1 is an attempt at capturing the old noise, video 2 is the new noise.

vid 1: click
vid 2: click

pull the timing cover & get a look in there, that sounds like the BS belt let go & is flapping around in there.

ApexHunter

i'm not sure if there is a balance shaft belt, as the balance shafts were removed. i'll ask the previous owner.

edit: is the balance shaft sprocket and belt usually retained after removing them?

Last edited:

Cy, I also vote starter for your noise. I would just lube up the solenoid shaft w/fresh grease before I went out and bought a new one.

Apex, I dunno about yours... bad PS pump bearings maybe? Sometimes an exhaust leak will sound like a ticking if it's close to the head, but I think you'd see other symptoms of that.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The starter spin down noise is definately a possibility for the Original poster.

Just roll start it a time or two, and that will tell the tale.

If it is the starter, just put some high temp grease on the shaft and roll the bendix over it by hand a few times, (as Mr. Fitch said.) I've had a bunch of dsm's do this, and every single one was cured with a little grease.

toybreaker

iconoclast
The rumbling style sound the second poster (apex hunter) is talking about could very well be an alternator/water pump/power steering pump bearing.

As I said in a previous post, people will tighten the dog sh*t out of the belts, trying to get them to stop making noise. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

This will kill the bearings in something fairly quickly, (usually the alternator or water pump), especially if you drive much at higher engine speeds.

Just disconnect the accesory drive belts, and listen for the noise.

If it's still there with the belts off, it's obviously not the alternator/water pump/power steering pump.

A mechanics stethescope is cheap, and quite handy for these kinds of things.

It can also be used to "play doctor" with the ladies, ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif) so it may make a worthwhile addition to your tool box.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned