The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What tells the fuel pump to run/ dumb cold start drama

GSTwithPSI

Quoting iceman69510:
What does ECM Tuning typically charge for ECU repair? I have one I need to send in too.

I think it cost me around $65 last time I got my ECU repaired. That was to test the board, clean it, and replace 2 fried ISC drivers. They charge $15 for every 10 minutes, so it all depends how much work they need to do to your ECU. There's probably very little that would run over $100 bucks.

You pay $30 + shipping up front for them to look at your ECU, so that's pretty much the minimum.

slugsgomoo

I put my ecu in a car that had a bad ISC (forgot to test first, d'oh) and it took out the 105 driver.

Replace that, replace caps, and replace socket (since mine had some damage apparently) cost $74 with priority shipping (14 was shipping). They're pretty reasonable and do fantastic work.

thecman02

How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any noticeable decrease in fuel mileage? I've seen cars that had dirty injectors cause poor starting in cold conditions. If you have fairly high mileage on that car an injector cleaning would probably do wonders.

turbofonz

Car has 277k on it, but runs like it has 60k. This cold weather makes mpg terrible, I've been averaging 20mpg.

But like I said above, car's fixed now. Whether that jumped connector was letting the injectors open while the car was off, who knows. I know I'm happy to have ecmlink in it, even if it is completely stock.

Oh, the ECU that came out of it is NOT pretty looking, lol. The "repair" work is terrible.

92_talon_awd

Have you checked your temp sensor? Mine went bad on my 1g, could barely get the thing to start without fouling plugs like crazy. Could also be contributing to poor gas mileage. I've been keeping my vr4 in the garage and driving the hell out of my ggsx in all this snow and ice, didn't notice any drop in gas mileage.

fourforty

i cant stress how important the coolant temp sensor is. if its not working it acts like the engine is hot and it will not fire injectors properly. the injectors will not spray enough to get the engine started.

strokin4dr

What!?

Fiascoxl

Quoting fourforty:
i cant stress how important the coolant temp sensor is. if its not working it acts like the engine is hot and it will not fire injectors properly. the injectors will not spray enough to get the engine started.

Pretty sure you have it backwards, bad coolant temp sensor will "flood" the engine so to speak upon start up.

thomcasey

^^^ Correct. It will tell the ECU that it is something like -50c or something like that and the ECU will dump fuel in the cylinders to try and help it start in mega-cold.

turbofonz

Quoting 92_talon_awd:
Have you checked your temp sensor?

Re-read my first post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

92_talon_awd

Gotcha. I have seen bad out the box plenty of times with parts store sensors. Unless you used OEM it might be worth a quick check with a multimeter

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned