The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What am i doing wrong? Spring compressor

stealthtt24

I feel like a total idiot as I have done this before, not only that but I'm on a time constraint. I'm trying to compress the springs, I rented a strut spring compressor. They are not compressing, I've tried both the clamp that moves freely on the top and bottom. A local told me to put the threaded part on the bottom but there's not enough thread to tighten as you can. What am I doing wrong????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

IMAG0318.jpg

Last edited:

pot

Staff member
First thing go have a ciggarette or better yet, 50 pull-ups and an ice cold glass of water. Step 2: Regardless of time constraints take your time. Now, I'd move the strut/sping compressor up one to two coils. Meaning, work higher up on the springs and spread the compressor wider onto the springs up top.

Its sort of like lifting an 80ft ladder from the end instead of the middle where its easier.

mikus

Flip them around so the thread won't bottom out - the way you have it in the pic, the bolt thread might hit the strut/spring assembly base as you thread it in to compress.

Put the clamp units on the assembly so:
- as soon as you start turning the bolt head it'll start 'squeezing', ie no slack
- the clamps per unit are across teh greatest distance possible, ie grab the most spring you can grab
- the two units are across from each other

Turn the bolt head to compress, until it squeezes enough that the spring is loose. that's it. It's possible you couldn't get enough compression to remove the spring but I highly doubt that from your pic.

dammitjim

try using a set of ratchet straps. I think they work better and are safer than a normal spring compressor.

stealthtt24

Wow talk about a brain fart. I just wasn't tightening it enough.

Well now I have another problem. The strut will not come off the spindle as seen in the pics. I've banged on it with a hammer and woof between,even kicking it isn't doing it. Any ideas?

IMAG0319.jpg

beaner

You'll need a 3 jaw puller. Be sure to have a bolt threaded into the spindle before using the puller or it will destroy the threads and you will be hosed.

matt92vr4

Beaner nailed it. It seems like everytime I do one, one side is stuck and the other is free. A two jaw puller will work too if you cannot locate a 3.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned