The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weird vibration and whirling/humming noise only under decel? HELP!

cupajoe

Let me know if swapping out the rear diff works out for you. Have you already tryed changing the fluid?

MellowVR4

I changed it about 8 months ago or something like that. It seems like it gets worse everyday, i try listening for it while im driving but it sounds like its in the rear but then sounds like the front aswell, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif maybe im going crazy. I thought it was my driveshaft support bearings so i replaced them aswell as the u-joints. So next on my list was rear subframe bushings and diff. See how that goes.

^^^^ I'm guessing that's what happening with 1886. I hear this resonating humming/howling sound cruising around 55-65mph around 32-3350rpm. The sound is present when coasting, but nothing on acceleration/deceleration. With what I've been learning in my auto tech program I hypothesized that the pinion gear might not be seated right, either it sits too high or too low or too deep or too shallow on the ring gear (yes the sound is resonating from the rear of the car). Is this normal on the GVR4's with the 4ws still functioning?

cupajoe

Coming back from the dead. Lol. I'm not sure but mine went away when I changed my drivetrain fluids.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned