The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weight savings

BENE38A

I bought the 3 piece chromoly crossmember from Paul Volk, you are right I just assumed its not much lighter but its quite alot lighter, you dont need to remove the north south bar to do an oil change on this set.

vr4play

Stock weight on my car was 3456lbs. Current weight is 2860lbs. I have removed all interior insulation and sound deadening, carpet ect., fiberglass aftermarket seats, carbon hood, carbon sunroof delete, all a/c and heat removed. Still have power windows, abs brake system, and front bumper support. Rear bumper support is now aluminum. I added subframe connectors that weighed in at 25lbs before I welded them on. I have most of the stuff to remove the power windows and locks, I have plans to update the abs to something that works so I'm leaving the stock system on till then. I would think that the lightweight underdash, some lighter yet comfortable seats, and lightening the rear bumper support would be places to start.

bluzvr4

I've seen alot of people say a aluminum rear bar. Is that something custom or is there one u can find?

CutlassJim

Quoting vr4play:
Stock weight on my car was 3456lbs. Current weight is 2860lbs. I have removed all interior insulation and sound deadening, carpet ect., fiberglass aftermarket seats, carbon hood, carbon sunroof delete, all a/c and heat removed. Still have power windows, abs brake system, and front bumper support. Rear bumper support is now aluminum. I added subframe connectors that weighed in at 25lbs before I welded them on. I have most of the stuff to remove the power windows and locks, I have plans to update the abs to something that works so I'm leaving the stock system on till then. I would think that the lightweight underdash, some lighter yet comfortable seats, and lightening the rear bumper support would be places to start.

Interested in the sunroof delete. I have a non sunroof headliner to put in and would love to lose 50 lbs of the highest point of the car.

Wookalar

Quoting BENE38A:
I bought the 3 piece chromoly crossmember from Paul Volk, you are right I just assumed its not much lighter but its quite alot lighter, you dont need to remove the north south bar to do an oil change on this set.

I'm interested in seeing pics of the "Paul Volk" bars if you feel like posting some. We've seen the bullfab kit. I suppose they are just bars but I would like to see how one kit differs from the other in terms of the oil drain plug blockage vs not.

LIV4PSI

He is 99GSTracer on DSMtuners. His bars were the first ones to come out. The front bar is straight and not curved, thats the only visible difference. He powdercoats them for free as well which Bulfab doesn't

bluzvr4

Is there a link to check them out?

vr4play

Quoting CutlassJim:
Quoting vr4play:

Interested in the sunroof delete. I have a non sunroof headliner to put in and would love to lose 50 lbs of the highest point of the car.

I have the prototype that I made out of fiberglass and resin. There is no gel coat. I will not be making anymore of the carbon ones as the price of carbon is too much and mine didn't really turn out as I would have hoped. For some reason the clear coat came out weird over the carbon. I would be willing to part with this prototype and possibly make a few gel coated fiberglass ones. I still have the mold that I made to make mine. Installation is a bit of a pain in the ass as I used the factory glass to make the buck and didn't end up making the gap as small as I would have liked. There are not fasteners, it is a glue in piece. I used window weld to do mine. I can take photos if your interested. The hardest part of install was getting the gap even around the roof and holding it in place while the window weld cured.

BENE38A

I can put up pics but its only of the crossmembers, car has no engine right now and they have not been installed

CutlassJim

Quoting vr4play:
Quoting CutlassJim:
Quoting vr4play:

I have the prototype that I made out of fiberglass and resin. There is no gel coat. I will not be making anymore of the carbon ones as the price of carbon is too much and mine didn't really turn out as I would have hoped. For some reason the clear coat came out weird over the carbon. I would be willing to part with this prototype and possibly make a few gel coated fiberglass ones. I still have the mold that I made to make mine. Installation is a bit of a pain in the ass as I used the factory glass to make the buck and didn't end up making the gap as small as I would have liked. There are not fasteners, it is a glue in piece. I used window weld to do mine. I can take photos if your interested. The hardest part of install was getting the gap even around the roof and holding it in place while the window weld cured.

Pictures would be awesome and my big question was the mounting method. I'm not a carbon fanboi so fiberglass I could paint KG or even black(so it just looks tinted) would be fine. Any design aspects to help with structural rigidity?

89Patches

I was going to make a mold from the roof of my parts car (Non sunroof)and make a carbon roof so I can get rid of the sunroof in #19. My brother did this with his Evo and turned out well. Wouldn't doubt it would drop at least 80lbs from the Galant...

curtis

Rear bumper info in the how to section

click this

vr4play

Quoting CutlassJim:

Pictures would be awesome and my big question was the mounting method. I'm not a carbon fanboi so fiberglass I could paint KG or even black(so it just looks tinted) would be fine. Any design aspects to help with structural rigidity?

Here is a photo of the prototype when I was test fitting it. You can see the size of the gap.

Here is how it sits now. Its got a few scratches on it now but would need to be painted anyway.

prove_it

Why not just buy a non sunroof car?

gtluke

I just welded the actual window in place, the window isn't terribly heavy compared to how insanely heavy the power moonroof mechanism is. For those not in an all out race car, might be a better option. Plus I can still see that the bikes on the roofrack haven't fallen off into traffic.

vr4play

Quoting prove_it:
Why not just buy a non sunroof car?

It would be pretty difficult to find a completely rust free chassis on the east coast for what I got mine for. It was almost dent free until my wife knocked my motorcycle over onto the door. She was pregnant with my daughter so I couldn't even yell at her. It may need some work but making the sunroof panel wasn't that big of a deal. I have thought about doing the carbon roof but didn't want to cut on the car that much to get the old roof off. I am by no means a body man. My brother had a really clean non sunroof car I would have traded him for but he got caught slipping the pickle in the wrong jar and his wife had it crushed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I think I was more upset than he was.

prove_it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

bluzvr4

A carbon roof may be a little more race car then I want but I wouldn't mind a fiber glass hood

NateCrisman

I made a weight loss thread back in like 2008 where I recorded actual scale weights on each mod and removal when I build 137/1000 to go 10's and still be an everyday streetcar.

found it:

Quote:
Weight Loss:

Current Weight: (assuming ~4 gallons of fuel & no driver)
2910lb street trim - 17" wheels & Kumho tires, full exhaust, 4 seats, nitrous bottle removed
2800lb dragstrip - 16" wheels & Hoosier tires, open downpipe, pass seat removed, full nitrous bottle

Parts removed entirely:
40-EST Complete A/C system
39.5 rear bumper support
39 spare tire/jack/tools/carpets
*38lb passenger seat (removed for dragstrip use)
29.5 front bumper support (prev owner cut for fmic install, so I don't have a # for oem support)
*23.5 BR 3.5" catback (removed for dragstrip use when allowed)
22 ABS pump
14 Cut up wiring harnesses to remove wiring for AC, cruise, ABS, alarm, power antennea, and unused engine harness plugs. Includes ABS and cruise computers
12 rubber mat on the inside of the firewall under dash. heater core needs to come loose to remove the biggest part.
10-EST 4 wheel steering
10 -EST charcoal canister, intake brace, emmissions stuff
9 power antenna
8.5 remove front swaybar
8 rear bumper foam
6.5 remove balance shafts
6 rear tow loops: pair
3.5 exhaust heat shield
3 ABS rings on front hubs
3 front and rear brake rotor shields
2.5 thick foam block under the radio & center console area.
2 foglights

Total: 339.5lb weight loss from "un-needed" part removal (dragstrip trim)

Parts modified/replaced that alter total weight:
-23.5 D2 coilover shocks
*-17 Hoosier tires & 16" wheels (17lb lighter than current street wheels)
-17 Carbon Fiber hood (oem 40lb/ CF 23lb)
-15 lawnmower battery instead of full size batt
-15 aluminum flywheel
-8 non cruise control throttle cable
-5 plastic radiator fans
-5 Aluminum intercooler pipes
-4 89 Dash pad
-4 JMF intake (10lb oem/6lb JMF)
-4 unorthodox underdrive crank pulley
-2.25 Cut cast drivers side engine mount bracket above PS pump
-2. complete T3T4 setup swapped from 16G setup (tube header and o2 housing are much lighter than stock cast parts, though bigger turbo and external wg offset most of the weight loss)
-1.25lb cut bent end off drivers side engine mount
------123lb removed due to mods (dragstrip trim)

*+28lb nitrous kit (full bottle is 25lb)
+15lb larger FMIC core (xs power 28"x12"x4" core is 23lb) (gain from stock)
+7lb 17" wheels & tires (gain from stock wheels/tires)
+.5lb prothane engine mounts (heavier than stock rubber/steel)
------ 50.5lb added due to mods: (dragstrip trim)

Total current weight loss: ~412lb

"To-Do" list of weight loss:
-20lb manual seatbelts
-10lb interior sound deadening floor tar (winter project when it comes off clean with little mess)
-15lb manual rack & ps delete
-30lb sunroof rails, motor, & electronics (assuming the glass weights ~10lb)
-20lb CF trunk without wing
-45lb JMF custom fuel cell effective loss (will make it possible to go down the track with only 1 gallon of fuel vs the stock tank that needs about 4 gallons to keep the pump submerged. 24lb of fuel weight. The cell weighs ~12lb, the stock tank is 32.5lb.
-8lb Single piston front brake calipers and smaller dia oem rotors
-16lb light wheels, both 17" for street use and 16" for dragstrip use. (current wheels are heavy & cheap)
-30lb race seat for drivers side

There is an honest 190lb of additional weight that could be lost, but all of them involve spending significant money other than removing the sunroof (which works fine) and swapping to small brakes.

Adding in a chromoly 6pt rollbar with swingouts will add about 80-100lb.

Measured Weight as of 08-16-09:
(before coilover suspension, hoosiers, and rear bumper support removal)
3204lb with driver/helmet/laptop. Fuel gauge on E, gas light on. Full exhaust & all stock seats.
2960lb without driver/helmet. (driver is a apparently a plump ~244lb)

All weights listed in LB as measured on a mechanical shipping scale unless listed as EST = Estimated since I didn't have the actual part to weight.

Edited by NateCrisman (11/27/09 03:20 AM)

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned