The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wastegate on exhaust manifold clearance issues on gvr4?

At least a 2" thick core, aluminum aftermarket civic radiator. Can be had for $100 new.

My car never went above 208 degrees even in traffic.

I'll let someone with a "Clean" setup post pics. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Nate

KC, mine was just a 95 manifold with the flange welded to the top of the runner, and gate bolted to that. Worked like a champ.

blacksheep

hmm - I thought welding to stock one was a bizzniatch and broke off or something - Also, I thought some issue with the gate being on manifold and just one runner or something.. my memory is so fizzy from the non-gvr4 days...

turbowop

In theory, off one runner isn't ideal, but works fine with our application as Nate said.

Mounting on the top also doesn't pose as big of a problem of the wastegate flange cracking since the weight isn't affecting it like it would if it were mounted on the side.

PJGross

Here was my solution:

I recirc back to the o2 housing, like this:

Plenty of alt clearance at least. A shorty wastegate would probably fit right on the flange, though. My radiator hit by about 1/2 or so.

-PJ

grocery_getter

I sold that whole setup to someone on this list a while ago...

Quoting slugsgomoo:
for a 20g you can actually put a WG on top of the manifold as there is a ton more clearance on a gvr4 than a dsm (where that doesn't work). Andre (Grocery_Getter) had a setup like that with his 20g at one point.

Honestly, if you want to go decently big, internal wastegates are garbage, but if he wants to go autoX without going bigger displacement wise (or at least compression) a big turbo won't be any fun regardless.

grocery_getter

Wow, Wop, that's a throwback to simpler times. Didn't know you have this picture...

Nate, I remember the gate being really close to the valve cover as well.

Excellent boost control and wastegate dump that sounds like a pulse jet..

Quoting turbowop:
That's how Andre had his setup. Worked great.

turbowop

I have a bunch of pics still from that day. I remember we stopped by your house after MSHR. You hadn't even moved into the shop yet. Pic was taken in '03.

grocery_getter

I took my GVR4 with the new setup autocrossing a few weekends ago at Bremerton. It is just crazy to be autocrossing with a 42R. I was stuck on 2nd gear all the time, setup for a turn, second gear, rpm going up to about 5500ish, turbo is suddenly spooled up, boost jumped up to 17-18psi and the whole car just started going sideway. Make for one crazy hard to point and shoot car since it cant and wont hold a turning line like that.

I miss autocrossing with Mark Minns at Bremerton.

slugsgomoo

Quoting grocery_getter:
I took my GVR4 with the new setup autocrossing a few weekends ago at Bremerton. It is just crazy to be autocrossing with a 42R. I was stuck on 2nd gear all the time, setup for a turn, second gear, rpm going up to about 5500ish, turbo is suddenly spooled up, boost jumped up to 17-18psi and the whole car just started going sideway. Make for one crazy hard to point and shoot car since it cant and wont hold a turning line like that.

I miss autocrossing with Mark Minns at Bremerton.

I can't believe you came out to autocross in bremerton and didn't give me a call you jackass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

seriously, it's only a few minutes from my place to the track, would've been cool to see you out there.

grocery_getter

Yes, despite being a big turbo car, this car is really fun to autocross with...

Slugs, I was traveling there in a pack, so I didn't want to split from the pack traveling that day. We arrived, registered, walked the course, did the run, did the work and left for home right away...

Wop, everybody in my group registered for the morning run leaving nobody to man the camera. I am planning to get an in car camera mount so I can mount a camera inside the windshield.

I registered for Bremerton's event #3 with the GVR4 again. Its on May 25th. It should be more fun this time around since the last event was my first venture out to autocross again after a long 10 years absence from it.

I am building Brad Degrazia's blue talon up for autocrossing and track day with a 2.4 and and old and tried and true evo16G.

I am also prepping my '89 911 for some autocross time too...this is going to be a busy season for me, driving wise. I am planning to get out there as much as I can afford this year.

I'll be at Pacific Raceway this Friday with the Galant. No time goal, just want to get used launching the car again.

slugsgomoo

if you're not there too early on the 25th i'll try to be out there. I'm going on a ride around the olympic peninsula that weekend, but I think i'd be back sunday or early monday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mitsuturbo

Quoting blacksheep:
Quoting mitsuturbo:

If you run a civic 1/2 width radiator, you have room for as much wastegate as you want. I had a problem with a deltagate on a Tnetics manifold years ago, it rubbed the radiator just a little, but i got it to work. I did have to "coerce" it a bit, though. The deltagate was sh*t, and i got rid of that setup. I ran a tial 38 mounted to a 2g manifold for a long time. It was mounted so it stood straight up, exiting forward with a 90° down turn on the dump pipe. That setup cracked around the welds and wasn't all that great. Now i'm running the HAFE cast mani with a tial 38 exiting straight down. I'm running a GT3076r and intend to replace my manifold with a FP unit, and get a FP turbine housing to replace the BEP one i have now. Since tial came out with that new shorty 38mm vband gate, i really think that's the way to go, for me.

I saw the radiator as a problem for a long time. Since going to a 2" thick two row half width radiator, all of my concerns about IC plumbing, turbo, manifold, and wastegate size/placement have disappeared.

Can you post pics of this hafe manifold and wastegate setup you are running and how close it is to the PS pump?

Also your radiator setup, would be awesome....

Thanks!

I'll post pics of my fugly sh*t tonight, unless i forget by the time i get home from work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned