The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Upstream o2 sensor harness side wire hunt

Chumpy

Hi all. Just got my hands on 1410. Check engine light is on. When I put it on the lift to start going though the car fist thing I noticed was the upstream o2 sensor is missing its wiring. I've got an o2 sensor replacement ordered but for the life of me I can't find where on the harness the o2 connector/wiring is. Two part questions:

Can anyone make my life easier with a picture or a general description?
And I'm thinking that the o2 sensor is the cause of the check engine light. Does that sound about right?

20240407_170748.jpg

Chumpy

Update: Digging around the forums I found the maintenance manual. That says that the upstream o2 sensor is plugged directly into the exhaust manifold. Makes since, and I did find what looks to be an o2 sensor up there. That brings me to the next question. What is the sensor upstream the cat in the picture above? An EGT?

mitsuturbo

There is no "upstream" or "downstream" o2 sensor. There's only one on the car, and it's not in the exhaust manifold on a stock VR4. It's in the O2 housing, which is bolted to the turbine housing with 4 bolts.
That there does not look like any o2 sensor i've ever seen.
I think VFAQ or the FSM likely have the procedure documented for checking CEL codes with an analog multimeter or a test light. Pull the code.
The o2 sensor harness/plug typically connects right under the thermostat housing and is held to the water tube that goes to the heater core with a small metal bracket.

Chumpy

Thanks for the info. Looking at the manual your right it only lists a heated (I have the bad habit of calling that one the 'upstream' on any car) O2 sensor.
1712951596865.pngA search though the maintenance manual also didn't show any exhaust temperature sensors. I wonder if this is an exhaust system from a different car with a 4g36t and that sensor was used to plug a hole.
I found the procedure for pulling the code. I'll see what the computer has to say.

Thanks again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned