The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Updating the interior - not wop approved.

4thStroke

One thing led to the next, and when it came down to it, the interior of 786/2000 is getting a good amount of updating. Im waiting to get a heater core back in the car and then I'll reassemble the dash. Then after that, I'll be waiting for the seat mounts from curtis to get the Recaros mounted. The rear seats are not mounted yet.

I pressure washed and then dyed the carpet and am very happy with the results. The headliner is going to get re wrapped with black ultra suede. The tan trim pieces are going to be smoothed and sprayed trim black to they dont stand out.

I will be sure to post pictures when its all finished up.

turbowop

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

The gap between the carpet and the seat just ruins this mod for me. I would probably take the Evo and GVR4 rear seats to a good upholstery shop and see if they could reupholster the GVR4 pieces with the Evo material.

Looks like the carpet turned out nice. Interior looks clean, which I love. What's with the dent in the dash above the glove box?

Last edited:

4thStroke

The gap isnt very noticeable other than when you are looking for it. But I agree, Im not a fan of it either.

I didnt even notice that dent until you said something. It must have gotten pushed in by the way it was resting in the car. Its not as bad as the picture makes it look, but it still kind of upsets me. I'll have to see if I can go in from behind and try to push it back out.

maroonmetallic

I'm pretty sure you will find that the "dent" is part of the "memory foam" of our dashes.
I hope it comes out, I had one in a door panel from carrying something in the backseat & I think it's still kind of there.

Thankfully, in the above situation, no GVR4's were injured.

-Shawn

381gvr4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif The carpet looks great. I also was thinking black carpet and black suede liner. Please post up some finished pics. Gonna be sick!!

Whoodoo

You could also throw in some suede on the center console. I wrapped my armrest and tray (the one in front of the shifter) in some black micro suede. I got my fabric at a local fabric store and it matches the suede in the doorpanels quite well.

The seats and carpet look really good. I don't think the hump in the back is structural so you could just cut it out... that's kind of a permanent mod though.

Quoting turbowop:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

The gap between the carpet and the seat just ruins this mod for me.

Probably wouldn't be very difficult to make a small carpet covered panel to hide that gap.

DailyDSM

I just finished my 89 conversion and recovered an 89 headliner in black. I considered micro suede but don't like how it looks on large surfaces. I ended up using a heavy weave seating material and repainted the 89 dome light black. Black definitely improves the interior feel of the car. The last thing I have to change is the carpet color and I already have black floor mats.

As others have said, a better way of doing the EVO rear seat bottom piece is to get a Galant bottom and have it recovered with the EVO fabric.

DailyDSM

Yes. These headliners are so old and are basically reenforced cardboard that fall apart on their own. If I had tried to remove the old fabric, there would be nothin left.

H05TYL

Quoting 4thStroke:
The gap isn't very noticeable other than when you are looking for it.

Hahaha, well said.

With the front seats and centre console fitted it'd hardly be noticeable i'd've thought - however, recovering the stock seat would mean your rear seat passengers wouldn't miss out on the supreme comfort offered by the stock vr4 rear seat.

vr460mez

I did the same stuff to my galant. You can get the rear sear to fit perfect instead of switching the evo cover to the galant seat if you have any questions I could tell you how I did mine.

4thStroke

vr460, please post up just how you got the rear seat situated and fastened. Many of us could benefit from it.

The Evo rear seat is still comfortable, Im sure I wont be getting any complaints. I may not get as many compliments, however. Passengers seem to love those rear seats.

I am very interested to hear how to get the rear Evo seat to fit perfectly as well. I would very much appreciate a tutorial on how to do such a modification. Thank you so much for sharing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting turbowoplite:
I am very interested to hear how to get the rear Evo seat to fit perfectly as well. I would very much appreciate a tutorial on how to do such a modification. Thank you so much for sharing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've seen this in person. I think Pedro said there some cutting and welding was involved, so like anything else custom -- it takes fabrication.

pwrneeds90

I herd you have to saw them pieces that stick out off and then it wud sit perfect, but thats what I herd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned