The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

transmission synchros?

fourforty

i'm looking for suggestions on what i should buy for replacement/upgrade for my transmission. i know jacks transmissions does very good rebuilds but i would rather save the money and do it my self. i just don't know where to look for a rebuild kit. i looking for something i can beat on fairly well but still street derivable. any help?

Barnes

Personally I think one of the best options out there is the Jack's gear cluster for a rebuild. It saves the hassle of shipping the entire bloody transmission, but it takes care of the hard part of doing a transmission rebuild. After rebuilding one of our transmissions myself, I think the hardest part by far is making sure you have the correct parts. They made so many subtle changes over the years it can be really hard. After that, assembling the clusters can be intimidating. In comparison I thought doing the final step, which was setting the end play/preload of the various clusters, was pretty easy.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/gear-cluster-rebuild-options

prove_it

If you don't have a set of feeler gauges to check the clearances in the clusters, don't attempt to do it yourself. It's not just a slide things off and put them on kinda deal. It's more involved than that for a properly shifting trans that will last hard shifts.

Barnes

To determine if the original poster will even accomplish the goal of saving money, we have to know what equipment he has access to.

OP: Do you have access to a shop press? What about a gear spilter plate?

If you still want to do the rebuilding yourself, I'd highly recommend you go with something like Jacks' rebuild kit. The biggest reason is knowing you will get the correct parts. When I rebuilt my transmission one of the hardest part was figuring out exactly what parts I needed to order.

fourforty

i do have access to all of this. i not only work at a dealership, i am also going to school for auto repair. i don't claim to know a lot yet but i am learning. i also know a few people who have rebuilt a lot of talon/laser transmissions. he has told me he has done many warranty synchro jobs back when they first came out. and thank you that is what i was looking for.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned