The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Transfer case help with Ratios and what's around

Bimmubishi

Hi Everyone. I need some help with this transfer case issue I'm having. Hopefully there is a solution.

I've installed a Ralliart dogbox in my Evo. It has the following gearing.

Front ring and pinion- 4.26
1st- 2.06
2nd- 1.50
3rd-1.19
4th-.958
5th-.807

From what I understand and study this should work with my 3.909 rear end when combined with the 1.09 Evo 2 transfer case (which also comes on a US model, forget which year 2g.. )

If the above assumption is correct then I will need:

A 1.09 Transfer case with a 22 spline input shaft. Does this even exist?

The dogbox has a 22 spline output shaft. I could possibly swap my shaft in but NOOOO the Ralliart box has a slightly larger VC unit which resides on the other end of that shaft so the Evo II shaft will not fit the Ralliart VC.

So complicated!

Does anyone know if there has been a Mitsu with a 22 spline 1.09 transfer case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

(Am I way offbase here?)

Thanks!

Alex

Bimmubishi

Now with pics!

3307282635_b12b5e16c5_o.jpg

Will the part numbered 30452 be interchangeable with one a 22 spline case? This is what I need to know. (well I need to know a lot of stuff but this would help)

prove_it

wow! talk about a tough question. if you find a big list of info on the t-cases post that up please.
I would love to know. I am defentialy clueless on this.

bazeng

I believe that the EVO3 transfer cases are unique. You cannot use EVO1-2 / VR4RS with the EVO3.

Could that be the one you are after?

Bimmubishi

Things might be less complicated than they seemed to me at first.

I have a 22 spline T case here from a DSM and my Evo II T case. I pulled them both apart.

They have the same gear count on both gears inside so the ratio is the same. I guess I would be in trouble if I had an Evo III rear end but as it stands it looks like I might be in the clear.

Can anyone verify the 1G T case ratio for me?

Also, after taking the spools apart it looks like the 22 and 23 spline could be interchanged,meaning it looks like the gear could be pressed off the short shaft and pressed onto another, effectively swapping T case imput shaft tooth count.

Kenny_Kline

The 1Gs came with a 1.090 ratio in the tcase along with gvr4, and the ggsx. The 2G tcases were different. I beleive 1.074 for the 2Gs but I remember them changing ratios in the tcase for 97-99 but not sure to what number. The 1G tcases came in 21-23 spline setups.

Primary x Secondary = Final gear
Secondary/Transfer = Rear diff

As long as everything matches up and you can get the correct outputshaft size/spline count, you should be fine.

Last edited:

IIRC, John at TRE told me that 2G 95-96 transfer cases from manual trans cars are the same ratio as the 1G's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bimmubishi

This is great news. Thanks guys. I think that 2gs had two different t case ratios if I'm not mistaken. The later one is NOT the 1.09. Evo III use the later one and Evo I-II use the 1.09.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
1g/GVR4: 1.090

2g (95-96): 1.090

2g (97-99): 1.074

M/T and A/T are the same for respective model years.

belize1334

Bringing this back.

I've found a 2G transmission and transfer-case out of an early 2G dated to July '94. Is this the same as the '95-'96 making the transfer-case ratio 1.090?

toybreaker

iconoclast
From the t-case thread in the how to section.

Quoting toybreaker:

One other thing to keep in mind is that the 23 spline all aluminum case was also used in the 2g, and that has the potential to fawk up your whole day.

There are two different internal gear ratios used in the 2g.

The early unit is a direct interchange for us, (and the 23 spline 1g dsm crowd).

The later 2g unit has a different internal ratio.

Installing a later 2g unit into a vr4/earlier car will result in tears and a thinner wallet when the driveline winds up and something has to give.

Sussing out the gear ratio isn't hard, and just requires a bit of time, your 23 spline transmission output shaft and a driveshaft yoke. Insert the shaft and yoke, and make match marks on the case with a paint pen, a marker, or your favorite lip gloss. Spin the imput shaft and count the rotations untill the marks on the yoke line back up.

12 turns to match back up is the number you're looking for. (Could be a problem if you're like me and can't count above ten without a beer in your hand. I suggest adult supervision during this arduous task)

belize1334

I was just thrown off by the July '94 since my understanding was that 2G began in '95.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
'95 model year does not mean they were not built until 1995 calendar year. They were built early in 1994 as '95 models. I don't know the exact month, but July is not too early.

raptorWagon

Just like our cars, you have 91' and 92's that are really 90s and 91s. Mine is July 90' but sold as a 91'.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Almost all of the US VR4s were built within about two months of each other, the 91s in June and July '90, and the '92s in July of '91.

raptorWagon

Oh and I should add, some of those early 95' Eclipse GSXs (build date 94') came with 3000gt Rear brakes.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Not necessarily "3000 GT brakes", but they were spec'd and built with vented rotors. That lasted only about 5~6 months maybe. Shame.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned