The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Swapping transmission output shafts

JackbNimble

As some may know, I bought a new transmission not know it was a 23 spline instead of 22. Some people in my previous thread said to just remove the output shaft out of the old transmission and swap them. I attempted to get it out of my old one but it would not budge. I removed the end cover of the transmission, took off the viscous coupler, removed the ball bearing, but the shaft isn't coming out. I tried flat punch with a hammer, but I didn't want to pound it too hard incase I broke something inside. I also just tried yanking it from the transfer case end and it wouldn't move. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Barnes

I'm hesitant to say this but.. hit it harder? Not really sure why it would be stuck in there, but once the ball is out, it should just slide right out. Lets have some other folks chime in before you bust out the dead blow.

JackbNimble

Yeah, I figured I'd ask on here first instead of pounding away on it. Like I said, I don't want to damage the tranny.

Galantvr41062

The only thing that should hold the out put shaft in is that metal ball. Make sure you have the bell housing nice and supported, with room to drive the out put shaft down. Then take a brass drift and a BFH and start to hit it from inside the center diff out twards the bell housing.

~John

H05TYL

Try turning the shaft back and forth a couple of times then try puling it out again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned